cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CM from 8.5 to 10.5.2

Jacob Webb
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question about my upgrade process before I attempt it.

So, I am planning during the week to:

1. Clone the existing CM
  2. Change the IP address on the clone
  3. Delete the subscribers (so it doesn't try and communicate with the live environment) on the clone
  4. Upgrade the clone to 10.5.1
  5. DRS backup the clone
  6. Shutdown the clone
  7. Build a new 10.5.1 VM with correct OVA
  8. DRS restore to new 10.5.1 server
  9. Build new 10.5.1 subscribers with temporary IPs
  10. Upgrade publisher and subscribers to 10.5.2

Then on the weekend when I am ready to cut:

1. Shutdown the active CM cluster (8.5)
  2. Update DNS and change IPs of new 10.5 cluster

Is there anything that I will lose on the subscribers by doing this?

9 Replies 9

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

I recall on 6.x I tried to achieve the same thing, however unless you have the Existing Licenses it would NOT allow you to delete the subscribers from the Clone Pub.

Not sure on the 8.x if it would allow or not, so just watch out for that gotcha.

Secondly, make sure all the phones have the latest / upgraded firmware in place on the existing cluster, so that during the cutover, all the phones come back and register normally, if they went for firmware upgrade and if you encounter an issue, it will be time consuming to know if it is a firmware upgrade issue or it is the new cluster upgrade issue.

HTH

Hi Jacob,

i did upgrade and migrate from 8.6 on MCS to 10.5.2 on UCS server using PCD by changing the nodes IP address.

no need for isolated environment and phones were registered to new cluster of you change the option 150 in  DHCP.

since you are changing IP address you need to perform the bulk certificate management on both cluster.

regards,

Raaj

This doesn't work for me since I need to old IPs back.  CIPC depends on the IPs being the same.  Also, I don't use Prime.

How do I perform the bulk certificate management?  Is it an installable thing or do I need TAC for that?  Can it be done preventively so I won't have a problem?  I did run into this on my last upgrade and needed TAC, but would like to avoid that again if I can.  

Hi Jacob, 

Below is the procedure for the Bulk certificate management.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U9C58CB1_00_pcd-administration-guide-1001.pdf

Refer the page # 113 and 114.

This is required if you performed migration using PCD with ip address changed on the destination node.

Regards,

Raaj

Ajith Nayak
Level 1
Level 1

PCD is a good option

However you could go for second option which I have tried and works well.

Take a DRS Backup of your current CUCM which is on  MCS

Fresh install same 8.x on UCS

Restore Backup

Upgrade to 10.x

HTH..

Hi Ajith,

Don't you still have to backup and restore to a new 10.x after these steps to use the correct OVA? 

Note: Downtime is required

When underlying OS needs to be changed, cop file is needed first to install to upgrade OS before proceeding with normal upgrade

• Perform DRS backup for cluster
  • For version 8.5 and previous , install cop file (ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v.cop.sgn)
  • Also install cop file (ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn) on every node in the cluster. This Cisco Options Package (COP) file has the RSA keys that are required to validate the upgrade
  • As 10.5 required 1 disk of 110 GB in place of current (2x80 GB), we need disk expansion. Use the Disk Expansion COP file (ciscocm.vmware-disk-size-reallocation-<latest_version>.cop.sgn)
  • Shut down the VM
  • Change the configuration of the virtual machine as needed:
  1. Change the Guest OS version to match the requirements of the new release (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit).
  2. To change the vCPU, make the change in vSphere Client.
  3. To change the vRAM, make the change in vSphere Client.
  4. To increase the vDisk space, edit the disk size using vDisk. If the virtual machine has two disks, expand the second one.
  5. The new space is automatically added to the common partition when you restart the virtual machine.
  • Upgrade the software to the latest version.
  • Upgrade publisher and then switch version
  • Upgrade Subscribers and then switch version ( either one or all at a time )
  • Modify the Network Adapter to use the VMXNET 3 Adapter type.

Also you could refer this documents.

Thare are at least three relevent documents:

Compatibility Information Cisco Unified Communications Manager 10.x

Release Notes for Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 10.0(1)

Upgrade Guide for Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 10.0(1)

Also, since 10.0 and beyond is only supported in a virtualized deployment, ensure that you understand all of the requirements on that front:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization

Hi Ajith,

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly, but are you saying that I can just do an in place upgrade by following this procedure?

Please refer to upgrade path for CUCM 8.X to Collab CUCM 10.X on vertual platform that will help you in step by step upgrade process..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: