Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade from CUCMBE to CUCM

ahmedtallat
Level 1
Level 1

hi

we have CUCMBE 7.1 we need to upgrade it to be CUCM because we have another MCS server ( 7825 ) with CUCM and we need to make the upgrades CUCM to be a secondary for the old CUCM, is it possible or not ? do we need order any thing from Cisco or not ?

regards

talaat

5 Replies 5

gmgarrian
Level 4
Level 4

Unless I'm mistaken, you cannot upgrade a BE version of CUCM to a non BE version.  This link show the upgrade paths for CUCM:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp43011

That being said, you may be able to export the configuration with BAT and import it to a new non-BE server.  You'll have to check the BAT log afterwards to do final tweaking.

Also, the licensing on this could be troublesome so make sure you get that sorted out before you start as well as review your Unity Connection config as you'll need a new UCONN server if you'll be retiring the BE server.

gmgarrian is correct. 

There is no migration path (DMA) for moving from Business edition to full blown CUCM and Connection.  I have done a similiar migration for a client and I exported as much info from BE that i could and then used BAT to import the configuration into the new CUCM server.

Alot of the configuration i did manually. I also used this as an oppurtunity to clean up and follow the best practices more closely.

I would imagine your deployement is fairly small if you are using BE so it may not be to daunting of a task.  I had spare servers so we were able to build the CUCM and Connection clusters offline and then change the option 150 on the DHCP scope over a maintenencne weekend, reboot the phones, reconfigure the gateway and test.

My site was under 200 users and a single h323 voice gateway with a couple of PRIs on it.

As far as license is concerned i believe it was a no cost migration but I do not remember the SKU.  I am sure you can speak to your Cisco SE and they can let you know more clearly what the process would be.

Regards,

cj

----As far as license is concerned i believe it was a no cost migration but I do not remember the SKU

I'd love to know how you did that. I'm looking at this and it most definently has cost involved.

It was a couple of years ago that i did this migratrion so my memory might be a bit hazy.

I know we had to purchase the extra node licesnse for the subcriber CUCM but i beleive we were able to migrate the 1 node and features license from BE to CUCM.

I don't remember exactly (and i may be wrong) that is why i suggested to ask the Cisco SE for clarity.

Regards,

cj

I had this issue awhile ago myself. My company had an essential operate contract on the call manager which allowed me to add as many nodes as I wanted. That didn't cost me anything to call Cisco licensing and request a new node license and add a subscriber to the publisher. I hope that helps? It all depends on the licensing you have currently and that depends on what if any costs will be involved.