Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade to CUCM 8.5

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Folks,

Do you guys recommand to go from CUCM 6.1 to 8.5? Is it a direct upgrde? I guess all we need is to purchase the SW license. All the DLU's will be carried out to the new boxes, am I mistaken?

We are planning to use new HW for 8.5. What would be the best stragegy? I was thinking:

- To bring the new servers to 6.1.

- Make a bakup from the old boxes (6.1)

- Restore the data into the new servers (6.1)

- Upgrade the 6.1 in the new Servers to 8.5

Or

- Upgrade from 6.1 to 8.5 on the old box (if the HW requirment for 8.5 allows)

- Make a backup using the upgraded backup tool

- Install the OS in the new HW

- Restore the data to the new HW.

I was thinking to go through the upgrade in one shut. Is there any safer stragegy? And my very last question is; If I make a backup using 6.1 version of backup tool, can I restore the data into the 8.5 using the 8.5 restore tool? As I remember, previous version of CUCM did not allow to backup with a version and restore with another.

Best Regards,

MK

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi MK,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Thomas (+5 )

You can do a direct upgrade if you were @ CUCM 6.1(4)

The licensing model changes completely for CUCM 8.5(x), you will need to move to

a UCL model;

UCL-User Connect Licensing

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/UK/public_sector/ict/assets/Microsoft_PowerPoint_-_Hot_Topic_Welcome.pdf

The DRS restrictions for matched versions remains the same;

Before you restore Cisco Unified Communications Manager, ensure that the Cisco Unified Communications Manager version that is installed on the server matches the version of the backup file that you want to restore. The Disaster Recovery System supports only matching versions of Cisco Unified Communications Manager for restore.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_5_1/drsag851.html

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Thomas Dominic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi MK,

You cannot directly upgrade from 6.1 to 8.5, you need to update to and intermediate version and then go to 8.5

The link belsow should help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html

as far as CUCM 8.5 goes the below doc shoudl give you whether your H/W is compatible with the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_5_1/ccmcfg/bccm-851-cm.html

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi MK,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Thomas (+5 )

You can do a direct upgrade if you were @ CUCM 6.1(4)

The licensing model changes completely for CUCM 8.5(x), you will need to move to

a UCL model;

UCL-User Connect Licensing

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/UK/public_sector/ict/assets/Microsoft_PowerPoint_-_Hot_Topic_Welcome.pdf

The DRS restrictions for matched versions remains the same;

Before you restore Cisco Unified Communications Manager, ensure that the Cisco Unified Communications Manager version that is installed on the server matches the version of the backup file that you want to restore. The Disaster Recovery System supports only matching versions of Cisco Unified Communications Manager for restore.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_5_1/drsag851.html

Cheers!

Rob

Good bless Rob, as usual the most completed answer :-)

What is the version of 6.x that I can't make a direct upgrade to 8.5. Could you please point me to a document?

Thanks,

MK

What would happen if we purchased sets and DL's prior to our upgrade but did not receive, install sets or upload DL's until after the upgrade.  Would 8.5 not recognize the DL's?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi MK,

You are always welcome my friend

From the first doc linked by Thomas;

Table 4     Export Restricted Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades for Release 8.5(x)

Cisco Unified Communications Manager
8.5(1)SU1
8.5(1)
System Version

8.5.1.11900-21

8.5.1.10000-26

Release Date

Feb 9 2011

Nov 15 2010

Standard Support

Direct upgrade:

8.5(1), 8.0(3a)SU1, 8.0(3a), 8.0(3), 8.0(2c)SU1, 8.0(2c), 8.0(2b), 8.0(2a), 8.0(2), 8.0(1), 7.1(5b)SU3(restricted), 7.1(5b)SU2(restricted), 7.1(5b)(restricted), 7.1(5a)(restricted), 7.1(5)SU1a(restricted), 7.1(5)SU1(restricted), 7.1(5)(restricted), 7.1(3b)SU2, 7.1(3b)SU1, 7.1(3b), 7.1(3a)SU1a, 7.1(3a)SU1, 7.1(3a), 7.1(3), 6.1(5)SU2, 6.1(5)SU1, 6.1(5), 6.1(4a)SU2, 6.1(4a), 6.1(4)SU1, 6.1(4)

Direct upgrade:

8.0(3a)SU1, 8.0(3a), 8.0(3), 8.0(2c)SU1, 8.0(2c), 8.0(2b), 8.0(2a), 8.0(2), 8.0(1), 7.1(5b)SU3(restricted), 7.1(5b)SU2(restricted), 7.1(5b)(restricted), 7.1(5a)(restricted), 7.1(5)SU1a(restricted), 7.1(5)SU1(restricted), 7.1(5)(restricted), 7.1(3b)SU2, 7.1(3b)SU1, 7.1(3b), 7.1(3a)SU1a, 7.1(3a)SU1, 7.1(3a), 7.1(3), 6.1(5)SU2, 6.1(5)SU1, 6.1(5), 6.1(4a)SU2, 6.1(4a), 6.1(4)SU1, 6.1(4)

Direct upgrade using DMA:

none

Note Refer to the Notes about Engineering Specials (ESs), Service Updates (SUs), and Windows Service Release (SR) Upgrades concerning upgrades from ESs.

Cheers!

Rob

As I can see, there are only 2 versions of 6.x which are 6.1(4) and 6.1(5) and the document shows there's a direct upgrade path to 8.5(x).  I don't see any version of 6.x which needs an intermediate upgrade priore to 8.5. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

MK

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi MK,

No, you're not missing anything. You just need to read

between the lines here

If your current version of 6.1 is not listed in the "Direct" upgrades

then by default you need to step to an intermediate version as a

first step. So, let's say your running 6.1(2)....as it's not shown

in the "Direct" upgrades we know that you would need to go to a

supported version like 6.1(4) or 6.1(5) as a first step.

It's kind of like addition by subtraction

Cheers!

Rob

You deserve another 5 my friend :-)

Can you please let me know what are the latest features of version 8.5 compared to 6.1

Thanks,

MK

Any answers to this ???? I'm asking the same question.