cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade to CUCM 8.6 failed, need help

kevintang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I got error when upgrade CUCM from 8.5 to 8.6. in the log file it ask Examine /common/log/install/capture.txt for failure.

My queston: how to view/get this capture.txt file?

09/09/2011 15:31:24 refresh_upgrade|Checksum failed (1). Examine /common/log/install/capture.txt for failure.|<LVL::Error>

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The easiest way is to use the 'collect logs' function of RTMT. You will get two pages of services, and if I recall correctly the 'Installation and Upgrade Logs' are on the second page.

Alternatively from the CLI, you get at install logs using commands like:

file list install / detail date

file view install whatever.log

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Your answwer does not work!

admin:file view install capture.txt

Starting ciscosec:  [  OK  ]

end of the file reached
options: q=quit, n=next, p=prev, b=begin, e=end (lines 1 - 1 of 1) :
admin:

admin:file list install capture.txt

capture.txt                            

dir count = 0, file count = 1

admin: admin:file list install capture.txt
capture.txt                            
dir count = 0, file count = 1
admin:

You asked how to view the capture.txt file, and you have viewed the file. It works.

I imagine what you meant to ask is 'why is there only one line in my capture.txt file?'

Try the command I listed:

file list install / detail date

This displays all the files on the install dir in date order. You can then see which files were written during this upgrade attempt, and can review those for errors.

As I suggested, RTMT is easier, as you can collect the files to your PC and use a better text editor to view the files.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

The error message I post before was in the install_log_2011-09-12.14.33.09.log file. I know how to view/get the log file.

But the capture.txt file may require root access privilege (I am waiting for cisco TAC's answer to confirm this).

Have you view/get capture.txt file before?

admin:utils system upgrade status

Upgrade status: Failed
  Upgrade file: LOCAL_UCSInstall_UCOS_8.6.1.20000-1.sgn.iso
   Upgrade log: install_log_2011-09-12.14.33.09.log

admin:

Hi

My understanding of the capture.txt file is that it is a sort of temp file that other logs (e.g. install_log_2011-09-12.14.33.09.log and other output from various parts of the upgrade) seem to get piped to, and that is redirected out to the web interface when you upgrade that way.

The information about why the upgrade failed will either be in:

- the files in the 'install' location (file list install /)

- the install/upgrade files in the inactive partition (file list inactivelog /)

Again, RTMT makes getting the files from the inactive side easier - you can tell it on the last screen of the wizard to pull from the 'inactive' version.

Traces of the stuff that happens when the data is actually imported into the database for the new version from your original version are logged in the inactive partition.

Regards

Aaron