Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade to UCM 7.1 and licenses from UCM 5.1

paa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I setup UCM 7.1 on my old server where UCM 5.1 were installed earlie. I download old license files (from UCM 5) to new UCM 7.1, but in License Report I still see that Software license in "Demo" status.

Are License files (Node and DLU licenses) from UCM 5.1 compatible wtih UCM 7.1 (if no server replacement occured)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Simply put:

No valid feature license = you can't start CCM service.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, but you still need the Feature License.

It was not introduced before 6.X and you need to upgrade the feature license for every major upgrade you do.

5.X -> 6.x/7.X

6.X -> 7.X

HTH

java

HTH

java

What is a Feature License? What's happen if I don't have it?

Are "Node License" from UCM 5.1 valid for UCM 7.1? What services (features) will be unavaible in my new UCM 7?

Simply put:

No valid feature license = you can't start CCM service.

HTH

java

HTH

java

What is a Feature License? What's happen if I don't have it?

Are "Node License" from UCM 5.1 valid for UCM 7.1? What services (features) will be unavaible in my new UCM 7?

Hi Alexander,

Yes, the CUCM 7.x Software Feature License is required, like Java nicely noted. If you can't start your Callmanager Service (which you can't without the Software Feature License), then your system is basically Out of Service. This type of license is required for any incremental step like 5.x to 6.x, or 6.x to 7.x;

Software Feature License

When you upgrade from an earlier release of Cisco Unified Communications Manager to Release 7.0(1), you must download and install a software feature license to activate the new features. For instructions about how to obtain and install a software feature license, see the "License File Upload" chapter in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_0_1/cucm-rel_notes-701.html#wp616664

Obtaining a Software Feature License

You must obtain a software feature license if you are upgrading from supported 5.x or 6.x releases of Cisco Unified Communications Manager. A software feature license activates features on your system for the specified license version. To use previous device license versions with this version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, make sure that you obtain the software feature license for the Cisco Unified Communications Manager version that is running on your system.

Use this procedure to obtain a software feature license:

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Navigate to the License Registration web tool at http://www.cisco.com/go/license.

Step 2 Enter the Product Authorization Key (PAK) that you received with your Cisco Unified Communications Manager upgrade.

Step 3 Click Submit.

Step 4 Follow the system prompts. You must enter the MAC address of the Ethernet 0 NIC of the first node of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster. You must also enter a valid e-mail address.

The system sends the license file to you via e-mail by using the e-mail address that you provided. To view the contents of a software feature license, refer to "License File Contents" in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager System Guide.

Step 5 You must upload the software license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmcfg/b02licfu.html#wp1067359

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: