Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading ATA186 on CUCM 7.1.5

Morning Chaps,

Wonder if anyone can help here. We have a CUCM  7.1.5 cluster 8 servers in total, all is fine however we installed a whole load of ATA's and some were working and some not. Looking at the compatibilty matrix 3.2.4 is the supported load, when browsing to these I found out some of these were runing ancient code. Now thats all acedemic, as I can manually upgrade these - the very slow way, but the question is, can you not just put a load in the tftp servers and these would automatically upgrade? I know there are some hops you have to do before going to the very latest, but I cannot find anything anywhere about what files you would put on the servers.

In the device defaults the load for an ATA186 is ATA030204SCCP090202A, which is the latest, but these do not download the file.

Any pointers would be great.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

If the above does not work, then probably you are hitting th bug:CSCsd44357

Browse the ip of the ATA by https:///dev

Check the application load if its older that the ATA030204SCCP090202A, then you are hitting the above bug.

you willl have to set up a local tftp server( eg tftpd32), edit the XMLDefault file, download the ATA030204SCCP090202A firware from CCO, put both these files in the base directory of the tftpd32 server, and manually point the ATA to the local tftp server, below are the steps again:

1.      Please set up a local TFTP server, the tftpd32 on a PC.
2.      Please download the XMLDefault.cnf.xml file from the call manager by
running the following command from the cmd of a local PC from where you can
browse the call manager:

Tftp 192.168.2.21 get XMLDefault.cnf.xml, where 192.168.2.21 is the call
manager tftp server ip.

3.      Edit this file using a notepad, and edit it to a  value less than
4kb,only keep the firmware information of the ATA.

So now the XMLDefault file should only have the following info:

ATA030204SCCP090202A.zup

4.      Download the the following ATA firmware from the link below:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/ImageList.x?relVer=3.2%284%29&mdfid=269214024&sftType=Analog+Telephone+Adaptor+%28ATA%29+Software&optPlat=&nodecount=2&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco+ATA+186+Analog+Telephone+Adaptor&treeMdfId=278875240&...

please download the ata_03_02_04_sccp_090202_a.zip file.

Unzip the file and put the ATA firmware .zup file in the base directory of
the tftpd32

5.      Please put this firmware and the edited XMLDefault in the base
directory of the tftpd32 server.
6.      Manually point the ATA to the local tftp32
7.      Then manually point the ATA to any one of the subscribers.

HTH

Please rate this post if was helpful

Kunal

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter Solano
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

This is the process to upgrade all of the ATA's in you CUCM:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cata/186_188/2_15_ms/english/administration/guide/sccp/sccpaapc.html#wp1014928

Be aware thatyou could hit this DDT:

CSCsr45184

HTH

Walter Solano

Hello,

If the above does not work, then probably you are hitting th bug:CSCsd44357

Browse the ip of the ATA by https:///dev

Check the application load if its older that the ATA030204SCCP090202A, then you are hitting the above bug.

you willl have to set up a local tftp server( eg tftpd32), edit the XMLDefault file, download the ATA030204SCCP090202A firware from CCO, put both these files in the base directory of the tftpd32 server, and manually point the ATA to the local tftp server, below are the steps again:

1.      Please set up a local TFTP server, the tftpd32 on a PC.
2.      Please download the XMLDefault.cnf.xml file from the call manager by
running the following command from the cmd of a local PC from where you can
browse the call manager:

Tftp 192.168.2.21 get XMLDefault.cnf.xml, where 192.168.2.21 is the call
manager tftp server ip.

3.      Edit this file using a notepad, and edit it to a  value less than
4kb,only keep the firmware information of the ATA.

So now the XMLDefault file should only have the following info:

ATA030204SCCP090202A.zup

4.      Download the the following ATA firmware from the link below:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/ImageList.x?relVer=3.2%284%29&mdfid=269214024&sftType=Analog+Telephone+Adaptor+%28ATA%29+Software&optPlat=&nodecount=2&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco+ATA+186+Analog+Telephone+Adaptor&treeMdfId=278875240&...

please download the ata_03_02_04_sccp_090202_a.zip file.

Unzip the file and put the ATA firmware .zup file in the base directory of
the tftpd32

5.      Please put this firmware and the edited XMLDefault in the base
directory of the tftpd32 server.
6.      Manually point the ATA to the local tftp32
7.      Then manually point the ATA to any one of the subscribers.

HTH

Kunal

Hi there, thanks for this info.

Sorry for the late response. Yeah the ZUP files are on the CUCM TFTP servers but the ATA's will not upgrade.

How do you manually point the ATA to the local PC tftp server? the only option in there is UseTftp: which the value is set to 1...

Thanks again!

Scrap that, I have found how to do this!

Many thanks for all of your help! brilliant stuff.

What did you find out?  I have tried all of the fixes that I have seen in this thread and other Cisco documentation, to no avail.  I'd like to avoid the manual process because I need to upgrade a number of remote devices, and it's not practical to get a phone hooked up to them to do the manual download.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi there,

This is what I did which I have remotely upgraded over 130 devices with 100% success (if only I knew how to script, I am sure I could make it easier!!!!!)....

To upgrade ATA’s from 3.2.0 to 3.2.4; follow these instructions.

1.      Set up a tftpd32 on a PC I used tftp32.  Create a new directory, where all of the files are going to be stored, such as c:\tftp.

2.      Go to DOS command and to the directory c:\tftp and download the XMLDefault.cnf.xml file from the call manager by running the following command from the command tftp 10.22.12.4 get XMLDefault.cnf.xml . Do a dir/p and make sure that file is in there.

a.      Edit this file using a notepad only to keep the firmware information of the ATA. So the file should only have the following info:

AUTO-REG

enabled

CUCM7

true

CUCM7

CUCM7

CUCM7

ATA030204SCCP090202A

B015-1-0-3

B015-1-0-3

B016-1-0-3

B016-1-0-3

S00105000400

SCCP70.8-5-2SR1S

SCCP75.8-5-2SR1S

SCCP42.8-5-2SR1S

SCCP45.8-5-2SR1S

cmterm_7985.4-1-7-0

SCCP42.8-5-2SR1S

You probably don’t kneed all of the above info just the ATA info, however this worked for me.

3.      Unzip this ATA file to the tftp directory.  This contains all of the files that are needed to upgrade the ATA.

1.2     PREPARE THE ATA’S

Once the above is done we need to connect to the ATA web page. The format to connect to them  is x.x.x.x/dev

In the AltTftpURL put the PC’s (tftp server) IP Address as shown below

Click on Apply at the bottom of the page and then click on reload

You should see the file being uploaded as shown below from tftpd server this takes around 2 minutes.

Once the ATA is upgraded, browse to it, and it should look like a normal 7960 page. Make sure you take off the tftp settings in the AltTFTPURL section, then click on Apply at the bottom.

Hi Carl!

I really appreciate your taking the time to walk me through this in detail.  I followed all of the steps and for some reason could not get the upgrade to happen.  Perhaps it is because we're on an earlier version of firmware - we're on 3.1.0.  I could see the xml file being pulled down from the TFTP server, but not the zup file as I would have expected.

In any case, I've decided to just have one of our techs update them manually by plugging in a butt set the next time they're on site at these two locations as I've wasted enough of everyone's time already.  Any newer ones I'll just upgrade manually before shipping them out.  I don't know why Cisco is shipping these things with such old firmware on them, as it is my understanding that 3.2.4 has been out for some time now.

Thanks again,

Michael

HI Micheal,

I was having the same issue in our cluster. We did try out two methods, one was to create a config file using the cfgfmt.exe which is there in the zip file of the ata firmware when downloading from cisco. we were able to upgrade all ATA's except the one with version 3.1.0. For these ATA, we did the xml editing method.

Thanks for tips guys

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: