Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading CUCM 7.0.2.20000-5 to 7.1.5

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

we need to upgrade our CUCM cluster to version 7.1.5 and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

The cluster is currently running version 7.0.2.20000-5 and from what I could see the lates version is 7.1(5b)SU4.

There are still several things that are not clear to me:

-Do we need the restricted or unrestricted version of the software?

-Do we need the file: UCSInstall_UCOS_UNRST_7.1.5.33900-10.sgn.iso or cisco-ipt-k9-patch-UNRST-7.1.5.33900-10.sgn.zip

One of them is some kind of patch and the other one is full install?

Any help is highly appretiated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kasper,

First off, you are most welcome my friend

Your process is spot on! Make sure you leave lots of time for the Pub

to fully come back online after doing the switch version before starting the Sub.

Other than that you look good to go;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/7_1_2/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1179637

Cheers!

Rob

PS: make sure that you've researched the IP Phone firmware versions as to what you currently run

and what are the "Device Default" firmware(s) on 7.1(5) before you make the jump. There are

some details when moving to the newest firmware versions that need to be checked out ahead of time.

Check out Table 30;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp302755

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kasper,

99% of all builds are classified as "Restricted" which yours will  most likely be going forward. Here is

a description of the differences;

Unrestricted Export Support

#

The restricted US export classification on Cisco Unified CM meant that governmental and military customers in many countries could not employ Unified CM in their networks.

#

In addition to the delay inherent in obtaining export licenses, products classified as restricted by the Department of Commerce (DoC) carry a requirement to allow US government representatives to demand on-site inspections at any time to confirm that the product is being used in accordance with its licensed purpose. This post-shipment verification (PSV) is unacceptable to many customers.

#

Additionally, some foreign countries maintain import restrictions which prohibited Unified CM from being available to customers in those countries. Both US export and foreign import issues stem from Unified CM support for strong encryption of signaling and media.

#

Unrestricted Classification

#

Because Cisco has obtained an unrestricted classification from the DoC for a version of Unified CM, beginning with Unified CM 7.1(5), both restricted and unrestricted versions of Unified CM will be released in parallel.

#

Limitations

#

Signaling and media encryption is permanently disabled in the unrestricted version, but remains unchanged in the restricted version.

#

Migration from the unrestricted version to the restricted version is not supported.

#

Note No impact exists to other security features such as HTTP(s), SSH, password encryption and authentication (for example, SIP digest authentication), mechanisms used by unrestricted Unified CM clients such as JTAPI, TSP, encryption of SNMP traffic, encryption of data related to database that is done by using IPSEC and IMS on the server side.

The communication between CTL client and provider remains encrypted.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_1_5/cucm-rel_notes-715.html#wp1768767

So this will be the file;

UCSInstall_UCOS_7.1.5.33900-10.sgn.iso

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

May I also ask you about the upgrade procedure itself?

There are two servers: One publisher and one subscriber.

From what I could gather the procedure would be this:

First on the publisher:

-Navigate to Software Upgrades > Install/Upgrade.

-Select DVD and let it finish and at the end choose "Do not reboot after upgrade"

*Do the same thing on the subscriber.

Than go back to the publisher and

-To restart the system and activate the upgrade, choose

Settings > Version

then, click

Switch Version

Wait till the pubisher comes up and then do the same on the subscriber.

Regards.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kasper,

First off, you are most welcome my friend

Your process is spot on! Make sure you leave lots of time for the Pub

to fully come back online after doing the switch version before starting the Sub.

Other than that you look good to go;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/7_1_2/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1179637

Cheers!

Rob

PS: make sure that you've researched the IP Phone firmware versions as to what you currently run

and what are the "Device Default" firmware(s) on 7.1(5) before you make the jump. There are

some details when moving to the newest firmware versions that need to be checked out ahead of time.

Check out Table 30;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp302755

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

The phones we are using are:

-Cisco 3911

-Cisco 7911

-Cisco 7942

-Cisco 7945

-Cisco 7965

Is there something special we should be aware of? I couldn't understand this from the provided table.

You also say:"Make sure you leave lots of time for the Pub to fully come back online after doing the switch version before starting the Sub."

Let me just once again ask wether I understood the procedure correctly: I upgrade the publisher but DO NOT switch version. Then I upgrade the subscriber and do not switch version. After the upgrade of the subscriber has finished Then I switch version on the publisher, wait till it has fully come up and then switch version on the subscriber?

Best Regards.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kasper,

Sorry for the vague "time" reference. Your procedure is just fine so I don't mean to

throw any question that way. When doing the actual "switch-version" at the end

of the upgrade process just make sure that the Pub is fully "up" before starting the

"switch-version" on the Sub. Check that all the services have come up, that you have

gui and cli access etc. It just takes longer than we think....that's all I meant

As for the phones, if you happen to be running any older firmware versions like pre-8-3-3

you will want to be careful. There are some two step firmware upgrade requirements due to

the fact that the new CUCM 7.1(5) will be upgrading the firmware to newer versions. For example

the 7945's will be moving to sccp.9-0-2SR1.cop.sgn and you can't move to that version if you are

@ pre-8-3-3 as shown in this note from the release notes;

Firmware Upgrade Issues for SCCP

Note For all SCCP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to version 9.0(2)SR1 or greater, you must first upgrade your firmware to version 8.3(3). Once you have upgraded to version 8.3(3), you can upgrade your IP Phone to version 9.0(2)SR1 or later.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/9_0_2/english/release/notes/7900_902SR1.html#wp164599

If you are running newer firmware versions you should be good to go. As a general rule we do all

the firmware upgrades as a separate step prior to the upgrade window just to mitigate the risks

and to minimize the downtime.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

guys like you are a treasure to this forum.

I wanted to let you know that we did the upgrade and it went without problems.

Once again thank you very much.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kasper,

Glad to be of some small help here my friend

I'm very happy to hear the upgrade went well...great job!

Cheers!

Rob