cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading CUCM to 8.6.X from 8.5.X and Earlier's Gotcha.

fkarami
Level 1
Level 1

Many People have had questions as to why their upgrade to 8.6.X is failing from 8.5.X and earlier.

If your upgrade is also failing and you are wondering why, although as per the Software Compatibility Matrix there is a direct upgrade available, perhaps you would want to know this.

The upgrade to 8.6(x) version of the CUCM is called a refresh upgrade and in order for you to upgrade to this version of the code, you will need to install a COP file on all nodes of your cluster. This COP file is called ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop.sgn

Symptoms:

If you check the installation logs, you would be seeing something along the lines of the following:

refresh_upgrade|Validate from version 8.5.1.10000-26|<LVL::Info>

refresh_upgrade|********** Upgrade Failed **********|<LVL::Info>
refresh_upgrade|*** Please install the Refresh Upgrade COP, and reattempt the upgrade ***|<LVL::Info>
refresh_upgrade|************************************|<LVL::Info>
refresh_upgrade|File:/common/download/8.6.1.20000-1/refresh_upgrade:768, Function:
validate_from_version(), Upgrade from 8.5.1.10000-26 not allowed|<LVL::Error>

Patch File Location:

Link:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283782839&flowid=26422&softwareid=282204704&release=COP-Files&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latesthttp://tools.cisco.com/squish/81D3C

Full Path:

Products > Voice and Unified Communications > IP Telephony > Call Control > Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) > Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 8.6 > Unified Communications Manager / CallManager / Cisco Unity Connection Utilities-COP-Files

Patch Name:

ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop.sgn

Installation Instructions:

1. Install this file on all nodes in the cluster from the "Install/Upgrade" option under "Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration."
  2. Once patch is successfully installed, allow the system a few minutes for the Tomcat service to completely restart before proceeding with the Refresh Upgrade.

I hope this information is useful for your upgrade.

With Regards,

Farbod Karami

Unified Communications Engineer

Cisco Systems, Inc.  .:|:.:|:.

Asia Pacific TAC - Sydney

2 Replies 2

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just linking this document about the same problem for reference:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16898

Hello,

I'm looking for some details about the upgrade to the version 8.6.x during the installation of a CM which needs the refresh_upgrade cop files but, I did not found any comments about that, neither in positive nor negative.

I'm asking this question because, I have to add a new Subscriber to a cluster which is already to the version 8.6.x and I have only the bootable media of the version 8.5.1.

What is the right procedure to follow?

Thanks

Regards

Andrea