Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Firmware 7937G on UCM 7.1.3

James Matthews
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am trying to install the latest version (1.4.3) of firmware onto a 7937G Conference phone.

I've uploaded the file (cmterm-7937-1-4-3-SCCP.cop.sgn) onto the UCM TFTP File manager and then I am manually adding in the phone load name (cmterm-7937-1-4-3-SCCP.cop.sgn) on the device, phone page.

However, no matter how many times I reset the device it never seems to pick up the newer version? Am I missing something here?

I don't want to change the device defaults before I've properly tested this new version.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi James,

Please find a document prepared by me to upload CallManger upgrade file / phone firmware files to servers.

You would basically put the cop.sgn file on your system, use an sftp server app like freeftpd to transfer the phone firmware cop.sgn to the TFTP server.

Let me know if this helps.

- Sriram

View solution in original post

Hi James,

Good to know that the procedure worked for you.

Can you please rate the discussion and mark it as resolved, for sake of completeness ?

Thanks,

Sriram

Please rate helpful posts !

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

The phone load name doesn't look right for a 7937. You are using cmterm-7937-1-4-3-SCCP.cop.sgn

I thought it would be something like apps37sccp.1-4-3-0

Cheers!

Rob

This is what I've downloaded from the Cisco website? The previous version we have is apps37sccp.1-3-4-0 though.

Comments from the Release Notes state:

For Cisco Unified CallManager 4.3 and earlier:

cmterm-7937-sccp.1-4-3.exe

For Cisco Unified CallManager 5.1(1), and Cisco Unified CM 6.0 and later:

cmterm-7937-sccp.1-4-3.cop.sgn

The correct answer method was not complete enough to make it work.

Here is a better post that does work.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/103466/uploadinginstalling-cop-file-cucm-cts-18-upgrades

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/103466/uploadinginstalling-cop-file-cucm-cts-18-upgrades

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

I think the file is right, but the naming convention on the Firmware Load box for the 7937 in question

should look like I listed above. Check your own Device Defaults page and I think you'll see what I

mean.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob

I do see what you mean, however, if I try and change the load name to what you've suggested and reset the phone, it comes up with "file not found" on the display before reverting to the default version.

How does the "apps37sccp.1-4-3-0" name get translated from the "cmterm-7937-1-4-3-SCCP.cop.sgn" file on the TFTP server? Have I missed something out?

danny.howard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi James

You need to load the file in using "Install/Upgrade" not "TFTP File Manager" FTP the file on via Software Upgrades > Install/Upgrade and use SFTP or FTP to install the file.

D

Hey Danny,

Nice catch my friend +5

I didn't even notice that in the first post. Great stuff!

Cheers!

Rob

OK, this sounds like it could work. I cannot try it at the moment because we have entered a Change restriction period.

I'll give it a try in the new year.

Thanks for your help!

cop.sgn file would be extracted by the Upgrade/Install process, to install the various individual files on the system.

The  alternative method would be to download the firmware zip file, unzip  the contents and individually upload them to the correct directory,  under File Management. However, this procedure will not update the  device defaults load, as the Upgrade/Install process does. You might  also need a restart of the TFTP service after uploading the files  through File Management.

- Sriram

Hi

I'm having real trouble using the install/upgrade functionality to get the file onto the system. If I already have it on the TFTP file manager what would be the Directory/Server/UserName details I should use? (At the moment I'm using directory / and username Administrator)

I keep getting an error "The remote server could not be located" regardless whether I use the local IP or that of my workstation? (I've saved the file in C:\Temp)

I've also tried starting the FTP service on my workstation, although that doesn't seem to work either.

Any ideas?

Hi James,

Please find a document prepared by me to upload CallManger upgrade file / phone firmware files to servers.

You would basically put the cop.sgn file on your system, use an sftp server app like freeftpd to transfer the phone firmware cop.sgn to the TFTP server.

Let me know if this helps.

- Sriram

Many thanks that worked a treat.

Thanks for the documentation.

Hi James,

Good to know that the procedure worked for you.

Can you please rate the discussion and mark it as resolved, for sake of completeness ?

Thanks,

Sriram

Please rate helpful posts !