Views
Helpful
Replies

upload 7941G load file to tftp CUCM 10.5

George Banuelos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi  all,

After a recent upgrade from CUCM 8.6 to 10.5, two 7941G phones failed to upgrade their firmware to device default (SCCP41.9-3-1SR4-1S).  It was discovered that the 2 phones in question currently have SCCP41.8-3-1S firmware loaded on them, which needs to be uploaded to a step up firmware before it will upgrade to CUCM 10.5 device default.

question 1:  can firmware version SCCP.8-5-3 be used as the step-up firmware?

question 2:  how/where can I obtain the SCCP.8-5-3 load file that I can simply upload to the CUCM TFTP instead of installing a device pack?

Thank you!

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

It has to be 8.5.2, doubt 8.5.3 will work. You can get the individual firmware files from CCO by navigating to the phone. You dont need a full device pack for this. 

Also, before you install the firmware file, make sure you take a note of the firmware version under Device-> Device defaults and once the installation is complete come back and change it to what it was prior to the installation. If you dont do that, the new 8.5.2 firmware will bepushed down to all phones. 

Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

Correct, the firmware will be pushed down if the device defaults is changed. When you install the COP file for the firmware, it automatically changes. I would just watch out for it when you install the firmware files. All good, good luck!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

It has to be 8.5.2, doubt 8.5.3 will work. You can get the individual firmware files from CCO by navigating to the phone. You dont need a full device pack for this. 

Also, before you install the firmware file, make sure you take a note of the firmware version under Device-> Device defaults and once the installation is complete come back and change it to what it was prior to the installation. If you dont do that, the new 8.5.2 firmware will bepushed down to all phones. 

Thank you for the note.... 8.5.3 didn't take, 8.5.2 took.  Now the 2 phones are downloading default SCCP41.9-3-1SR4-1S.

The comment you made "new 8.5.2 firmware will be pushed down to all phones" is applicable only if I changed the device default for the 7941G's - correct.  I didn't change the device defaults, I manually went to the config page of the individual phones and inserted SCCP41.8-5-2S in the Phone Load Name field to push 8-5-2 to the phones.  Once they upgraded to 8-5-2, I deleted this entry to push the device defaults down.  Just making sure I took the correct approach and will not expect any downgrades on other phones firmware.

Thank you again!

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m

Correct, the firmware will be pushed down if the device defaults is changed. When you install the COP file for the firmware, it automatically changes. I would just watch out for it when you install the firmware files. All good, good luck!

ahh, now I understand your comment better... I didn't install the COP for that reason, but rather manually uploaded all the individual files from the .zip download.  This worked - both phones are now good!

Thank you so much.  Talk to you next time.

I'm hoping someone here is still monitoring this thread. I am having the exact same issue with the 7941G-GE phones.  I downloaded the .zip file, and uploaded each file individually to both of my call manager TFTP servers.  I changed the Phone Load option on the device, and even tried changing the device defaults since I'm just bringing in a few 7941G-GE's and no matter what I try I cannot get this phone to upgrade. I'm using CUCM 10.5.2.  

Can anyone help me figure out how to get these phones working?  Thanks! 

Did you try deleting the ITL files? Its under settings -> Security configuration -> trust list ->**# to unlock and erase. 

just wondering how it went... mfehrmann: what firmware version do your 7941G-GE's have on them?  the phones I had an issue with were at SCCP41.8-3-1S so I uploaded the 8.5.2 files to the TFTP as a step up upgrade.  I then referenced the file (...8.5.2) names on each phone's config page and reset them so that they downloaded the 8.5.2... once their upgrade completed, I went back and removed the file names on the phone's pages and reset them.  At this point, they downloaded the default firmware on the CUCM 10.5.  hope this helps.

The phones are still stuck in an endless upgrade loop. They get to the upgrade page, then flash real quick and reboot again. I can't get them to do anything, including getting in to any menus to delete the ITL files.  

I've uploaded all the files from the 8.5.2.zip file to both of my TFTP servers, I've changed the individual phone config page to list "SCCP41.8-5-2S" and nothing will take. I even changed it at the Device Defaults page because I don't have any other 7941G-GE's.  Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated!  

Have you tried a factory reset of the phone? Make sure you leave the 8.5.2 filename as is on the phone config page so that it can pull that version after the factory reset.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: