cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

User Auto/Manual Login Using CIPC ( IP Communicator )

seanpcrowe
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

We use CIPC ( IP Communicator ) however we have a problem where users are constantly moving desk nearly everyday. Having to manually touch each new machine to set them up in CIPC is not the greatest solution for this. This is required as you need admin rights to input the 'device name' into the preferences of the CIPC Client. We use the convention CIPCUSERNAME for a device name.

I wish to ask if there is a method to automate this by login script or somesuch? Perhaps is there a way for the user to log into CIPC themselves?

Thanks...

12 REPLIES 12

Jaime Valencia
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee Hall of Fame Cisco Employee
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee

That's what extension mobility is for, why are you not using it? 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

VON CLAWSON
Participant
Participant

Jamie is right, although maybe not very tactful on the question. 

Extension mobility would be perfect for this situation. 

Here is the Feature Configuration Guide with the Extension Mobility configuration.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/11_5_1/featureConfig/CUCM_BK_C7DC69D3_00_cucm-feature-configuration-guide_115/CUCM_BK_C7DC69D3_00_cucm-feature-configuration-guide_115_chapter_011110.html

That is for 11.5 but not much has changed, and I'm not sure what version you are on. But it should be what you are looking for. Let me know if that helps.

Please rate if this helps.

seanpcrowe
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you both for your reply, it is most appreciated. 

Extension Mobility sounds like a great way forward.

So just to recap, the users when sitting down at a new machine with CIPC installed ( either configured with a device name from a previous user or not configured with a device name ) they will be able to open CIPC and use 'Extension Mobility' to log themselves into the phone without the need for IT to intervene? 

We are currently on System version: 11.5.1.12900-21

Jaime Valencia
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee Hall of Fame Cisco Employee
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee

The phone needs to be registered, so "not configured with a device name" doesn't work.

CIPC needs to be registered to CUCM for EM to work, follow the configuration guide and try it so you can see exactly how it works.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

seanpcrowe
Beginner
Beginner

Hey,

Again, thanks for the replies.

Just to update here, I have worked my way through the below guide. At the end I was able to successfully log into an IP Communicator Client that had been configured for a 'CIPCEMMASTER' device name using 'my own' AD creds and a PIN I assigned myself. However the issue is now when I log in, CIPC doesn't display my EXT line to make any calls. I feel like I am almost there???

Any advice or insight is welcome

https://www.learncisco.net/courses/cucm-basics/mobility-features/extension-mobility-configuration.html

Screenshot 2021-05-10 181804.jpg