cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a 8861 3PCC

trevor3
Level 1
Level 1

What's the simplest solution to be able to use a Cisco 8861-3PCC at home? I'm just looking for simple home office VOIP phone and want to be able to use this particular phone. I'm just looking for a 1 line, 1 user, cloud-hosted provider. Obviously the phone is designed for business, but I would like to find a service provider who will allow for 1 line/1 user for a reasonable amount. I realize this phone is overkill for this purpose, but that is besides the point. I am just looking for a means to the end. Thanks for any help you can offer.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@trevor3 wrote:

What's the simplest solution to be able to use a Cisco 8861-3PCC at home? 

Read Cisco IP Phone 8800 Series Multiplatform Phones User Guide.

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi 

If you're technical enough (don't know what your tech expertise is), you could install a PBX at home such as asterisk, 3cx etc, then pay for a sip trunk to an ITSP, which would give you a DDI. There are tons of cheap ITSP for small businesses out there. 

I have, what I would say, above average technical ability. I’ve never messed with phones/VOIP specifically— I have done some computer projects in the past and and tweaked router settings, setup networks, etc. 

It seems like I should be able to follow directions as I’ve seen a lot of posts/videos about setting up a PBX on a raspberry pi, etc. 

I just wanted to compare the alternatives to doing that. I’m mostly doing this for fun/functionality. I don’t NEED an IP Phone, I would just like one for my home office and I’ve always been a fan of the Cisco IP desk phones. I saw the WebEx Calling Cloud hosted service, but it’s not exactly easy to figure out how to sign up for it or who to sign up for it through when you’re looking for a single user license/single number since the majority of information out there is focused on business use. I just figured someone out there may have done it for a personal home office phone. 

It sounds like setting up my own PBX on a raspberry pi or the like is going to be significantly cheaper than paying for a hosted solution, so I’ll do some more digging into doing that.