Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a voice gateway without CUCM

morph.andy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

probably a noob question, but we have a new site coming online and we want to test the ISDN connection.  We've got a spare voice gateway kicking about - I'm just wondering if i could configure a voice gateway to workout without cucm, just have dial peers on it, and some sort of config similar to srst to give phones an IP ? Might not be possible - just wondered if i can avoid lots of config on CUCM, by just setting up basic config on the vgw and proving a call works inbound and outbound 

thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hi,

sure you can.

You can run CME (Callmanager-Express) on the router and register some phones to it.

SRST in principle is nothing not really anything else than a CME.

Assuming you have already CUCM running:

But why not testing with CUCM already? If you don't know how to configure CME, than the config and time for it is probably bigger / longer than setting up a test scenario in CUCM.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hi,

sure you can.

You can run CME (Callmanager-Express) on the router and register some phones to it.

SRST in principle is nothing not really anything else than a CME.

Assuming you have already CUCM running:

But why not testing with CUCM already? If you don't know how to configure CME, than the config and time for it is probably bigger / longer than setting up a test scenario in CUCM.

Hi

thanks for the reply! I could do the cucm, and now from what your saying probably will - just thought using the vgw on its own might be quicker

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

If you configure the ISDN, voice port and dial peers, you should be able to see an incoming call in the debugs ("debug isdn q931").  The undocumented "csim start" command can simulate an outbound call and again you should see the debugs. Note "csim start" doesn't work from an SSH session, it needs to be either console or telnet.  And it doesn't support media so although you could get a call to ringing and answered stage, it will be silent.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: