Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using CUCM as a proxy like service

Here is the situation: I have a "BOYD" wireless SSID for all employees to use, I would like to move our mobile jabber clients off the current clinical device SSID and onto the new one. As this would be simple enough normally, but our security engineers are refusing to open up ACL's for all of the voice vlans throughout the enterprise. I have opened up the ACL's to the UC servers only at this point which allows the phones to register, get voice mail and send participate in chats. As it is configured now the calls are placed with one way audio( no surprise here ) the ACL's are blocking the RTP streams from connecting phone to phone.

What I would like to accomplish: Is to keep CUCM in the middle as the termination point of both call legs, so it would work like a proxy service for the calls but only for the jabber client calls. I know that ip media service on CUCM is capable of terminating a call but I'm not exactly sure how to approach this.

Will an ios media termination point accomplish this man in the middle feat? Is there something i could do in my media resources list/group to create the desired behavior?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

3 Replies 3

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If you use the CUCM based MTP then the RTP would still flow through CUCM. You can configure IOS MTP and assign it in the MRGL of the IP phones. IOS MTP will be able to handle g729 codec as well unlike CUCM based MTP which can handle G711 codec only.

HTH

Manish

I have a doub Manisht...if devices (in this case jabber) are not able to negotiate CODEC between them only in that way will use MTP, so how will you force this scenario? You can use Region to force a specific CODEC not supported by Jabber itself that way I think will work...

Regards

This was actually an easier problem to solve then I had anticipated. All that was really required was a new MGRL with CUCM software MTP MRG associated. Then build a phone template for the Dual mode Jabber for iPhone and Android, change the use trusted relay box to on and save.

The call manager cluster is now standing in the middle of all the calls made from the mobile jabber clients. This fixes the audio issue.

Now I have to find a way ( if even possible ) to allow for video to pass through.