cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Exchange 2010 for Voicemail with Call Manager 7.0

James Carlson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I recently upgraded from Unity 4.0 to Unity 7.0 on a MCS-7825-H1-ECS1 Server in preparation to our migration to Exchange 2010.

Throughout the year long process of getting quotes, meeting with vendors, finding out what we need, the MCS-7825-H1-ECS1 went to end-of-life.

Because of this, we need to look at getting a new server for Unity as we're now in a bind. But one of the other Engineers here on staff was telling me that Exchange 2010 has voicemail capabilities (more info here: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/en-us/unified-messaging.aspx)

Is anyone currently using Exchange 2010 for voicemail instead of Unity with Cisco Call Manager? If so, I'd like to hear about the advantages, disadvantages, setup, etc.

Any information you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've done few implementations with CUCM integrated to Exchange UM, it works fine and provides basic voicemail functionally. Don't expect much advanced features though besides getting vm to your email and some very basic auto attendant capabilities (good speech recognition though).  I suggest you evaluate your existing voicemail environment to see if there are any critical features you would be missing.

Alos, keep in mind that Cisco Unity is EOL and you should look into Unity Connection migration as an alternative solution if Exchange UM does not meet your needs.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

So in essence, I'd have to rebuild my Call Handlers as Auto-Attendants in Exchange and I might not have as much functionality as I have now with Unity? For the most part, the Call Handlers we have are setup to handle voicemail from the hunt groups in Call Manager.

The plan is to get to Unity Connections but we were so far behind that the quickest upgrade route to get in compliance for Exchange 2010 was to go straight to Unity 7.0.

Correct.

HTH,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: