Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Nortel phones on Cisco switches

patelri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Please can someone help. I am configuring Cisco 3560's to support Nortel phones. I have configured ports to be switchport mode dynamic desirable and have configured both a voice and access vlan as per below:

interface range FastEthernet0/1 - 23

switchport access vlan 102

switchport mode dynamic desirable

switchport voice vlan 202

duplex full

speed 100

mls qos trust cos

spanning-tree portfast

As CDP is not enabled I understand the need for the port to trunk, but will QoS be enabled? According to the Cisco website, the switch will ignore cos values if received from a non Cisco Ip phone on a voice vlan.

Please help.

2 Replies 2

michael mack
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you configure the Nortel phones to use vlan 202. They don't understand a 'voice vlan' in the same sense that a cisco phone does, but they will use a trunked port and send voice traffic tagged with a particular vlan number. Really, you don't need the voice vlan statement here, just a trunked port that's allowing your internal voice network vlan traffic over it. I also would suggest that you force the switchport mode to trunk, rather than desirable (assuming your Nortel phones are being configured for trunked mode. Default for Nortel phones is non-trunked, I believe)

The qos statement that you have should trust all COS values coming over the port, regardless of whether its a Cisco phone or not.

thanks for the advise Michael, much appreciated