cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using SRST temporarily until WAN circuit is available?

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

We have a situation with an office moving to a new location and their WAN circuit may not be installed on time which means they'll be without a WAN connection and the router would not be able to contact our CUCM servers.  Our ISDN PRI circuit for local PSTN access will be installed on time though.   This is a brand new install at this location.  They've never had Cisco voice there.   My question is, can I configure the router as I normally would with SRST, etc and BEFORE I take the phones to this location, plug the phones in our our network at the main site just to let them register.   After they register at the main site, I put them in the proper device pool, etc and then reset them, making sure they boot up and register again to the network.  I can check one of those phones to be sure (via the phone's web page) that it did download the info needed so that it knows the router at the site in question is the last device it will try to register to if the CUCM servers are down (the last choice is the router at the local site with SRST enabled).  

The local router at that site will provide DHCP and the DCHP settings would of course refer to the CUCM servers for TFTP.  I assume this won't be a problem since the phones will already have a previous download from the servers when they were plugged in at the main site and I also assume since the phones can't reach the servers, they'll simply use their existing/previously downloaded info and then register to the router for SRST.   Correct?

Does that sound reasonable?  I just want to be sure I can give them phone service until their WAN is up and running.  I assume this plan would work and they'd at least have basic phone service with SRST and their local ISDN PRI trunks.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can rely on SRST with the process you outline, or alternatively configure the GW as CME for time being providing more functionality then SRST and allowing you to point your DHCP to local TFTP. Both CME and SRST licenses are interchangeable.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can rely on SRST with the process you outline, or alternatively configure the GW as CME for time being providing more functionality then SRST and allowing you to point your DHCP to local TFTP. Both CME and SRST licenses are interchangeable.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: