Views
Helpful
Replies

Using TAPS

Kane_CCIE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Using TAPS, when prompted for a DN by the lady, what determines the number/numbers that are valid? Is it any number in the range of the CCM autoregistration? Or is it what was configured in the BAT CSV file? If so, then does the user have to dial the TAPS number twice to set up two lines? Can shared lines be set up this way?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Kane_CCIE
Level 1
Level 1

Also, the TAPS config doc says:

Configure System > Service Parameters

Allow Auto-Registered phones to reset with a profile with a dummy MAC address.

or

Allow Auto-Registered phones to reset with any profile.

I'm sure I did this under BAT i.e.

Start > Programs > Cisco CallManager > Bulk Admin Tool > Configure TAPS.

So is this an alternative way of doing this?

Kane,

To tell you the truth I've never used TAPs for anything outside of BAT Dummy MAC installs. But to anwser your other questions, no TAPS doesn't support shared lines and no you don't have to dial TAPS twice to setup a phone with two lines (if that is what you meant). Of course the reason why it can't support shared lines is because it doesn't have any logic to determine what profile to select if there is a shared line instance(1 number input but 2 profiles available).

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

Hi Kane/Fred (Fred, long time, hope things are going well :)

I did come across this note a while back;

Using TAPS to Configure Shared-line Phones

If you are planning to use TAPS to configure shared-line phones, you must create unique external mask for each shared-line phone. Enter a unique combination of numbers and asterisks (*) for the external mask. For more information, see http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCec20093.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_release_note09186a00801e87a5.html#wp1717634

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for your replies guys but what determines the valid numbers? Is that any number pre-configured by the Administrator during BAT?

TAPS will tape any pre inserted phone from BAT. When you add a phone via BAT it has a device name begining with BAT vs SEP. You can also configure TAPS to take ANY phone not just the BAT inserted phones.

Kane,

Ok based off what Rob brought to light, essentially when you bulked your phones & lines you would make sure the external phone mask field was populated. From there you would need to make sure a different number is specified for each shared line.

So example. Say I have 3 shared lines with an NPA-NXX of 856-506.

Phone 1/Line 1 DN 5000 External Mask would be 1#856506xxxx

Phone 2/Line 1 DN 5000 External Mask would be 2#856506xxxx

Phone 3/Line 1 DN 5000 External Mask would be 3#856506xxxx

After the TAPS rollout then you could launch BAT. Do a query for phones at that site and then replace the External Phone Mask back to the system default or to the NPA-NXX for that site if you needed to, 856506xxxx. This way you can still do shared lines with TAPS. I will try this out in the lab tomorrow and reply back as I want to verify 100% it works the way I expect it.

Fred

Rob,

Sweet....yet again coming in with some unfamiliar knowledge to me. Definitely gonna check out this link in the lab. Though this wouldn't have worked in my last major rollout where I needed this, as it was all DID and having the mask set correctly on the shared lines was a 100% requirement for Outbound caller id and AAR (really don't know how AAR would handle that). Of course when you were done the TAPS rollout you could just bulk the mask back on for the site so I guess it would still be pretty easy. Again good one Rob and some well deserved points.

Fred

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: