cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Verifying if VG20x ports are in use.

hoylandpaul
Level 1
Level 1

We have some VG204s and VG202s at remote sites and it would be useful to know if anything is plugged into the analogue ports in the device.  Is there a command I can use on the device to check this out?

thanks

Paul

3 Replies 3

s.angelmahr
Level 1
Level 1

No, there is no way to check if something is pyhsicaly connected to the port.

Regards,

Sven

Craig Dyer
Level 3
Level 3

Paul,

The 'voice test' commands are available on a VG224 and other FXS ports, I don't have a VG202 or VG204 that I can run tests on at the moment but the commands avaiable are:-

test voice port 2/XX line-test phone-detection

REN-detection       Measure REN used by the attached analog phone

ac-current          Measure AC current

ac-foreign-voltage  Measure AC foreign voltage

ac-ring-current     Measure AC ring current

ac-ring-voltage     Measure AC ring voltage

ac-voltage          Measure AC voltage

dc-current          Measure DC current

dc-foreign-voltage  Measure DC foreign voltage

dc-voltage          Measure DC voltage

debug-off           turn line test debug off

debug-on            turn line test debug on

loop-resistance     Measure loop resistance

phone-detection     determine if analog phone is plugged in

The tests are disruptive the port needs to be shut down and attached devices may ring.

Have a look at this document it should help:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/fxs/configuration/guide/fxsenhserv_ps10592_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1092671

Have a great day,

Craig

(PLEASE RATE HELPFUL POSTS)

Just found a supported test document and it suggest that the Loop / REN and Phone dectection tests are on both VG202 and VG204. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/fxs/configuration/guide/fxsenhserv_ps10592_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1091995 Please let me know how you get on, Craig Message was edited by: Craig Dyer

Michael Horton
Level 1
Level 1

I can use most of the same tests that Craig identified for the VG224 on my 204s as long as their software is up to date.  You do have to shut down the voice port first, so be sure that you can take a port down before you start your tests.  Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: