Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224 And Time Issues On Attached Analog Devices

Jason Pennell
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Community,

I just experienced an issue where an Analog phone connected to a VG224 (configured to use SCCP) was having its time reset on its display.  The time on the analog phone was being set manually through the phone interface and then when the phone would make an outbound call or receive an inbound call the time on it would reset.  In doing a "show clock" on the VG224 it was connected to I discovered that the phone's time matched the VG224's time.  I thought there was no way the time would be passed to the phone from the VG but it appears that it was.  To resolve the issue I set NTP and the timezone on the VG224 appropriately and it fixed the issue.  Does anyone know how or why the analog phone would be getting time information from the VG?  Has anyone else out there experienced this issue?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The phone takes date and time via caller ID. That is a common feature in North America, Bellcore standard.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800a9a49.shtml

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dksingh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hmm..interesting....never seen this where analog phone connected via

copper pair to GW's FXS port would get the time info from the GW.

Thinking perhaps phone was somehow using the callerID info which

does has the ability to pass date/time info.

Does it occur if u disable callerid under the FXS port?

Curious, what make/model these phones are?

The phone takes date and time via caller ID. That is a common feature in North America, Bellcore standard.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800a9a49.shtml

Thank you both for your replies.  I did not try disabling the caller ID as part of the troubleshooting and the phones mostly being used were some model of VTECH phones.  It looks like that link that Paolo included contains information about the phone getting time from the router so thank you for the link Paolo.  I believe that clears it up.

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: