cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224 IOS upgrade

denz_cruel
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to upgrade the VG224 to Version 15.1.4M10(MD) and I am confused which IOS below I need to download. The current IOS version of the VG224 is 12.4(22)T5. (flash:vg20x-ipvoice-mz.124-22.T5.bin). Can anyone explain me the difference of two ISO.

IP SUBSET/IPSEC 64 BIT/VOICE
vg224-i6k9s-mz.151-4.M10.bin

IP SUBSET/VOICE
vg224-i6s-mz.151-4.M10.bin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI.

If you want security features such as ssh on your VG, you should download the k9 version.

I usually suggest it.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

HI.

If you want security features such as ssh on your VG, you should download the k9 version.

I usually suggest it.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hello,

What about upgrading from i6s version to the i6k9s version?

I am planning to upgrade from vg224-i6s-mz.151-4.M9.bin to the vg224-i6k9s-mz.151-4.M12a.bin. Is there anything significant worth knowing while upgrading to the version containing the security features? Please advise. Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel

denz_cruel
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Carlo,

Thank you for the information, how about the meaning for IPSEC 64 BIT?

IPSec—IP Security Protocol. IPSec is a framework of open standards that provides data confidentiality, data integrity, and data authentication between participating peers. IPSec provides these security services at the IP layer; it uses IKE to handle negotiation of protocols and algorithms based on local policy, and to generate the encryption and authentication keys to be used by IPSec. IPSec can be used to protect one or more data flows between a pair of hosts, between a pair of security gateways, or between a security gateway and a host.

Note The term IPSec is sometimes used to describe the entire protocol of IPSec data services and IKE security protocols and is also sometimes used to describe only the data services.

IPSec is documented in a series of Internet Drafts, all available at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipsec-charter.html. The overall IPSec implementation is per the latest version of the Security Architecture for the Internet Protocol Internet Draft (RFC2401). Cisco IOS IPSec implements RFC 2402 (IP Authentication Header) though RFC 2410 (The NULL Encryption Algorithm and Its Use With IPSec).

Internet Key Exchange (IKE)—A hybrid protocol that implements Oakley and SKEME key exchanges inside the ISAKMP framework. While IKE can be used with other protocols, its initial implementation is with the IPSec protocol. IKE provides authentication of the IPSec peers, negotiates IPSec security associations, and establishes IPSec keys.

For more information on IKE, see the chapter "Configuring Internet Key Exchange Security Protocol."

The component technologies implemented for IPSec include:

DES—The Data Encryption Standard (DES) is used to encrypt packet data. Cisco IOS implements the mandatory 56-bit DES-CBC with Explicit IV. Cipher Block Chaining (CBC) requires an initialization vector (IV) to start encryption. The IV is explicitly given in the IPSec packet. For backwards compatibility, Cisco IOS IPSec also implements the RFC 1829 version of ESP DES-CBC.

Cisco IOS also implements Triple DES (168-bit) encryption, depending on the software versions available for a specific platform. Triple DES (3DES) is a strong form of encryption that allows sensitive information to be transmitted over untrusted networks. It enables customers to utilize network layer encryption.

Note Cisco IOS images with strong encryption (including, but not limited to, 56-bit data encryption feature sets) are subject to United States government export controls, and have a limited distribution. Images to be installed outside the United States require an export license. Customer orders might be denied or subject to delay due to United States government regulations. Contact your sales representative or distributor for more information, or send e-mail to export@cisco.com.

MD5 (HMAC variant)—MD5 (Message Digest 5) is a hash algorithm. HMAC is a keyed hash variant used to authenticate data.

SHA (HMAC variant)—SHA (Secure Hash Algorithm) is a hash algorithm. HMAC is a keyed hash variant used to authenticate data.

IPSec as implemented in Cisco IOS software supports the following additional standards:

AH—Authentication Header. A security protocol which provides data authentication and optional anti-replay services. AH is embedded in the data to be protected (a full IP datagram).

ESP—Encapsulating Security Payload. A security protocol which provides data privacy services and optional data authentication, and anti-replay services. ESP encapsulates the data to be protected.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/security/configuration/guide/fsecur_c/scfipsec.html#wp1001014

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/ipsec-negotiation-ike-protocols/16439-IPSECpart8.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: