Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224 MGCP vs. SCCP

Heath Deschenes
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all,

I have always used MGCP when configuring my gateways with PRI's. I am looking for some advice on whether to use MGCP or SCCP on 8 VG224s I am installing. I have seen some posts in the forums that SCCP has more features, but I could not find any documents that compare the features.

I would be happy to hear your opinions on what you are using and why or any links to side by side comparisons.

In the end, unless SCCP has a substantial amount of features over MGCP, I would probably stick to MGCP.

Thank you,

Heath

20 Replies 20

All of our VG224s have a mix of fax and analog phones.  I'v been looking into SRST and the only config I can find is with SCCP.  Is that true, or can you do SRST with MGCP?

You can get call preservation & SRST-like functionality on your MGCP FXS endpoints.  Treat it like you would an MGCP PRI which you want call preservation enabled (i.e. 'call application alternate default') .  Then you also need to have lower preference dial-peers pointing to your SRST gateway via SIP or H323.  Just make sure you don't create dial-peers without 'service mgcpapp' which get matched when you go offhook in normal mode.

Steve,

Do you know if there is a (enhancement) bug out there on this or if or when the BU plans to add protocol switchover support to SCCP for T38?

jeremy.combs wrote:

Steve,

Do you know if there is a (enhancement) bug out there on this or if or when the BU plans to add protocol switchover support to SCCP for T38?

That will likely never happen.  The SCCP protocol currently doesn't have any provisioning for protocol-based switchovers.  It would have to be added to the SCCP protocol in a later protocol revision, and then that version would have to be reflected in CUCM and the gateway code.

What would be more likely as a feature request would be IOS MTP or CUBE  support to convert an NSE switchover to a protocol switchover (and  vise-versa).  That would be a cool function, and logically would work.

I encourage you to have your account team file a PERS request for either of these, though.  If there is enough interest, they may be some traction to get that to happen.

Was this answered ?

fedor.solovev
Spotlight
Spotlight
Hello, Heath.
This is very good query. Could you, please mark this discussion as answered ?