cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224 not sending faxes

chevymannie
Level 1
Level 1

We swapped out our core switches and not the VG224 will not send faxes.  The remote fax picks up and we get about 2 to 3 seconds of fax tone, then silence for around 5 seconds, then another 2 to 3 seconds of fax tone, then silence again until the fax machine says the transmit failed.  This was working before hand.  Any suggestions?

10 Replies 10

Kope Matsepe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chevy.

We are having a similar problem. We installed some VG224s after migrating a buidlings' Voice infrastructure  from Siemens to Cisco. The extensions are working properly except the fax lines that are routing via the VG224. The extensions on the VG224 are working properly as they are able to make incoming and outgoing, but the faxes do not go through.

Someone out there please assist.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Kope Matsepe

It is likely that the fax machine is  not the correct Vlan. for instance, if it is was in the voice-vlan  before, it would mostly likely have very good priority.  you may be on the data network and now having problems with delays and packet drops.

Jorge Armijo
Level 4
Level 4

Did you tried connecting an analog phone to the VG224 and make a regular voice call? Is there 2 way audio?

By testing this, we can make sure that the fax transmition is the problem or not. Also make sure that "ip routing" is enabled on the VG224.

--
Jorge Armijo

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

-- Jorge Armijo Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

chevymannie
Level 1
Level 1

VG224 is on the Voice VLAN.  We verified this.  I also did some test calls from the fax to my cellphone.  No issues there.  I did notice Monday that we had several slips on the PRI circuit.  I want to say I saw somewhere that this could cause issues with faxes completing.

Clock slips on your PRI is a big issue for faxes..So correct that and test again..Ensure you have the proper clock source configured on your gateway

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

I agree with aokanlawon, Slips on PRI causes many problems to fax/modem transmitions... Once you clear that, you'll be a step closer to fix the problem.

--
Jorge Armijo

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

-- Jorge Armijo Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Were you able to get this work? Are you still having the proble?

--
Jorge Armijo

Yes. Once our provider corrected the clocking issue that caused the slips, faxes started working again.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Awesome!

Glad to hear it...

--
Jorge Armijo

Good news all around..It is always a good idea to mark the thread as answered..It helps others

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"