Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC2-4FXO on 2911 Router

raymondtun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

VIC2-4FXO is to be installed in EHWIC slots of 2911?

I am planning to install 4 x VIC2-4FXO cards to have 16 FXO.

Any other option to have more FXO ports in future? I saw this module EM-HDA-6FXO too. Can I use it?

I have PVDM3-64. Is it compatable with above VIC2-4FXO?

Thanks.

Raymond

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You would need the SM-NM-ADPTR for the EVM, not the VIC card.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is not practical, and is very expensive to have many FXO ports in ISR routers. Your best choice is to ask telco for PRI, or in some cases, use an external channel bank.

However, all voice cards are compatible with PVDM3.

Just to second Paolo here: Beyond the density problem FXO represents there are feature limitations as well. For example, the Single Number Reach feature Mobile Connect is not supported over FXO lines. Unless you order Ground Start signaling you will also run into disconnect supervision and glare issues. There is no support for setting the ANI on outbound calls over FXO ports either.

The EVM-HD-8FXS/DID can be configured with two EM-HDA-6FXO daughter cards to support 8 FXS and 12 FXO ports without consuming any of your EHWIC slots. If you really must use FXO ports this would be your best option from a density perspective. The Panduit VP24382TV25 or a 66/110-style punchdown block would be needed to breakout from the RJ21 connector.

As always, be sure you run through the DSP Calculator to ensure you have sufficient DSPs. My recommendation is to always max out a PVDM slot if you're going to use it. In other words, order in increments of -256, not -64 if you can swing it. It's the most efficient use of the limited slots.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Thank you guys for your information. Really useful.

Our usual deployments are with E1.

I am not very familiar with FXO. But due to much higher monthly recurring cost of E1 connection at this particular area, I am left with this option.

I have already highlighted to my management and it is their call since they are the one paying the bill.

I just wanted to make sure I don't purchase the wrong card.

I thought I need to have adaptor (SM-NM-ADPTR) for VIC2-4FXO while i was reading this link .

You would need the SM-NM-ADPTR for the EVM, not the VIC card.

Thanks Jonathan.

Then look for a SIP trunk. It is not expensive, and offers more features than FXO.