cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vIPer Device changes Product Type w/firmware upgrade, comes up Rejected

RAustin70
Level 1
Level 1

I have just recently changed our General Dynamics Sectera vIPer devices from Firmware 4.2.1 to 5.2.1.  I am running CUCM 11.5.1.  According to General Dynamics Support staff, when I make the change from 4.2.1 to 5.2.1 with our CUCM version, I have to change the device Product Types from 'Cisco 7960' devices to 'Cisco 7961G-GE'.

When I do this in CUCM by deleting the phone and adding new, the device immediately comes up as Rejected.  My thought is that somehow the 7960 config file is still getting shipped to the device and it's a model mismatch, causing the Rejected status?  Is there a way I can delete the config file in the TFTP servers for one of my devices to test this out?

Rob

5 Replies 5

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Can you fully reset the device (Hardware Reset) in order to attempt to download from "scratch" the new firmware from the CUCM? Additionally, can you reset any network settings on the phone device?

You can also go to RTMT>Tools>Syslog Viewer and Select the CUCM Node> Application Logs> Alternate Logs.

By doing that you should be able to identify the cause of registration failure.

George

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

Thank you for the quick post up.  I will check on that.  In the interim, I deleted the device in CUCM and let it reboot without a config.  It came up as an autoregister device like it is supposed to on our system, and it identified as a 7960 device.  I deleted that device and supercopied another vIPer, changed MAC Desc & DN, and it immediately came up.

I have an email out to GD support to verify if there is anything to set upon the endpoint to make the change from 7960 to 7961G-GE.

What was the fix for this situation? I am going through the same process.

The Fix was quite simple actually, you have to go into the vIPer device itself through the Web Admin page and change the SCCP Settings "Cisco Phone Registration Type" from 7960 to 7961G-GE.  Then let the phone reboot as you build the new phone in CUCM, it will come up fine.

Rob

When you remove and re add a device by MAC , RIS status is shown in the CCMAdmin page. So, rejected (device type, security, etc) is shown. That’s based on the MAC previously as seen not necessarily as it is for the present configuration, as you’ve seen by waiting for a registration attempt
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: