Views
Helpful
Replies

vm template update.

Evgeniy.Suvorov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

We want upgrade CUCM, UCCX  and CUP server form 9.x to 10.5. All work on virtual mashines.

When I should modify vm template, before intalling upgrade, after, before switch version, after and etc. ?

9 Replies 9

tonyperla
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Evgeniy,

The only way you are going to be able to apply new ova templates is to basically build new VM servers and then perform backups of your old applications and restore them to your newly built servers.  There currently isn't a way to apply new ova templates to existing servers.  I also do not see any reason to change the ova for a 9.x to 10.5 upgrade.

Hope this helps

Tony

Please rate helpful posts

Thanks,
Tony

I think you are wrong.

I need to change amount fo RAM, OS type and network adapter type. I can do it manualy, no problem. But I don't know when I need to do id.

Upgrade guide does cover that you need to change the OS and vNIC, AFTER the upgrade, I recommend you to review the upgrade guides, RNs, and new and changed docs prior to any upgrade. All particular considerations like those are contained within them.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

The upgrade guide says that I nedd to change vm before upgrade :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100_chapter_011.html#CUCM_TK_C9AFC8CC_00

Change the configuration of the virtual machine as needed:
  1. Change the Guest OS version to match the requirements of the new release (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit).
  2. To change the vCPU, make the change in vSphere Client. Ensure that you change the reservation value to match the specifications of the new release.
  3. To change the vRAM, make the change in vSphere Client. Ensure that you change the reservation value to match the specifications of the new release.
  4. To increase the vDisk space, edit the disk size using vDisk. If the virtual machine has two disks, expand the second one.

The new space is automatically added to the common partition when you restart the virtual machine.

Note   

You need to change the disk size changes only if you need additional space to complete the upgrade. The disk space requirements are specified in the Readme file for the OVA template.

Expanding the disk size to add space to the common partition will not increase the user capacity of your system. If you need to extend the user capacity of your system, you must migrate from a single-disk to a multi-disk virtual machine; seeReplace a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager for more information.

For more information about making configuration changes using vSphere Client, refer to the user manual for the product.

Step 4   Modify the Network Adapter to use the VMXNET 3 Adapter type.

For information about modifying the Network Adapter to meet the requirements of this release, see the Readme file for the OVA template.

Step 5   Upgrade the software to the latest version.
Step 6   Shut down the virtual machine.
Step 7   Power on the virtual machine.

But I think that there is mistake in that guide. I cannot change any parameter until I shutdown the vm.

That's interesting, 9.x does say it has to be AFTER

Step 1  Upgrade Unified Communications Manager on the virtual machine to the latest release.

For information about installing or upgrading Unified Communications Manager on virtual servers, see Cisco Unified Communications Manager on Virtualized Servers here: http:/​/​www.cisco.com/​en/​US/​products/​sw/​voicesw/​ps556/​prod_​installation_​guides_​list.html.

Step 2  After you finish the upgrade, shut down the virtual machine.
Step 3  Change the Guest Operating System to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (32-bit).
Step 4  Check the RAM on the virtual machine and make sure that it meets the minimum RAM requirements for this release.

See the readme file that accompanied the OVA file for this release for minimum RAM requirements at: Products\Voice and Unified Communications\IP Telephony\Call Control\Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)\Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version [Release]\Unified Communications Manager Virtual Machine Templates.

Step 5  Save changes.
Step 6  Restart the virtual machine.

I change the VM specs (RAM/CPU) BEFORE, to avoid troubles during the HW validation.

The guest OS always AFTER, as well as the new settings for the vNIC

HTH

java

It's realy interesting :)

I think that upgrade gude for 9 version is correct, for 10 version is incorrect.

You're probably already done, but for what it's worth to anyone else who finds this post:

I only followed the CUCM v10 upgrade guide and changed ALL the settings (in our specific case Guest OS version, disk size and vNIC) up-front, going direct from v8.6.2 to v10.  I had no issues.  For our Unity Connection cluster, those docs listed all the changes to be made after upgrade.  I did them all (Guest OS, and vNIC) after the Unity (same v8.6.2 to v10) upgrade completed and it also went fine.

My fault I read that completely wrong, I was under the assumption that you wanted to apply brand new ova templates and not modify the existing.  Apologies.

Thanks

Tony

Thanks,
Tony

No, that's wrong.

You can resize your VMs as long as the specs are the same of a supported OVA

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements#Resize_Virtual_Machine

The CPU/RAM requirements of the VMs sometimes do differ between versions and you need to adjust that, it has to be BEFORE, otherwise, the upgrade will fail HW validation.

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: