Views
Helpful
Replies

VMWare Vswitch and CUCM question about DSCP

filipequintela
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to found this information everywhere on the internet but i couldn't find it easly. In fact i didn't found it.

Curently i'm working do develop a plan to trust the DSCP values comming from my UC servers that resides on UCS platform as virtual Machines.

On the switch ports i'm using mls qos trust dscp to trust the DSCP value that is comming from the servers.

But, as far as i know there is also a Vswitch installed alongside with the VMWare. My question is, should i do anything on the VMWare infrastructure that will guarantee that i'm sending my packets marked with DSCP correctly? Or the virtual switch is already trusting this value?

So, anyone already had this experience?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Filipe                    

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The default VMWare vSwitch has no QoS capabilities, thus is where N1K comes in when needed.

If you trust dscp on the switch then the marked traffic will be delivered as such.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Filipe,

When you say vswitch installed, do you mean you have Nexus 1K soft switch installed on ESXi?

If so, the N1K can be provisioned to build some QoS policies to prioritize/queue traffic within VMware before it hits your edge switch. If all you care about is trusting all traffic coming out of the UCS servers then you do not even need it.

HTH,

Chris

I'm using local VMWare VSwitch to connect the Virtual Machines to the NIC team to the LAN.

So, i guess that it will trust perfectly the DSCP settings that were set on CUCM (i've remarked the DSCP from CS3 to AF31) and transmit it perfectly to the LAN where i'm developing the strategy.

The default VMWare vSwitch has no QoS capabilities, thus is where N1K comes in when needed.

If you trust dscp on the switch then the marked traffic will be delivered as such.

HTH,

Chris

Thank you!

Cool, thanks for nice rating.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: