I am new to voice need assistance

My scenario

I have a HP3500 curve in production

it has port 10 defined in data vlan 301 and

port 12 defined in voice vlan 310

so i connected port 10 on HP 3500- port 1 on cisco 3650 switch

port 12 on HP 3500 - port 2 on cisco 3650 switch

what configuration is required on port 1 and port 2 on cisco 3650 switch

and the configuration on rest of the ports where the pcs or ip phones will go.

Thanks

Asif

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Asif,

You would probably get a better response if you posted this query in the LAN, Switching and Routing forums but I will try to give you some help.

The best way to link the switches together would be to use a port configured as a 802.1q VLAN. This would allow traffic for all VLANs to be transported over a single physical link. Multiple VLAN ports can be grouped together for increased bandwidth and resilience if needed.

However, if we assume that we are going to stick with your setup then the 3560 (assume that the 3560 has 2 x Gig Ethernet ports which will be used for the interswitch links and 24 FastEthernet ports for phones and PCs) should be configured as follows.

First create the VLANs

vlan 301

name data

vlan 310

name voice

Configure the inter-switch ports

interface gigabitethernet 0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 301

interface gigabitethernet 0/2

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 310

Next configure the FastEthernet ports

interface range fastethernet 0/1 -24

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 310

spanningtree portfast

This basic config should get you going. It assumes that the ports will be set to auto-negotiate speed and duplex. There are some other commands that I would typically enable to protect against STP problems and enable security but I have not included these for the sake of simplicity.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Asif,

You would probably get a better response if you posted this query in the LAN, Switching and Routing forums but I will try to give you some help.

The best way to link the switches together would be to use a port configured as a 802.1q VLAN. This would allow traffic for all VLANs to be transported over a single physical link. Multiple VLAN ports can be grouped together for increased bandwidth and resilience if needed.

However, if we assume that we are going to stick with your setup then the 3560 (assume that the 3560 has 2 x Gig Ethernet ports which will be used for the interswitch links and 24 FastEthernet ports for phones and PCs) should be configured as follows.

First create the VLANs

vlan 301

name data

vlan 310

name voice

Configure the inter-switch ports

interface gigabitethernet 0/1

switchport mode access

interface gigabitethernet 0/2

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 310

Next configure the FastEthernet ports

switchport mode access

spanningtree portfast

This basic config should get you going. It assumes that the ports will be set to auto-negotiate speed and duplex. There are some other commands that I would typically enable to protect against STP problems and enable security but I have not included these for the sake of simplicity.

HI James

First of all thanks for your help

please provide me the commands typically enable to protect against STP problems and enable security.

so later once I have tested the configuration will implement that as well.

Another quick question - my cisco 3650 have all gig ports so the interface range fastethernet 0/1 - 24 still works or i have to replace with

interface range gigbitethernet 0/1 -24 command

Thanks

Asif

switchport mode access

spanningtree portfast

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: