cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Interface required on cisco2911/k9 router

Anupam Singh
Level 1
Level 1

What Voice Interface Card is Needed in Cisco 2911/K9 Router to make Voip Call Outside Network. Internet connection is coming in router though ADSL card interface in this router. IP Phones Phones are registered in the network to make call internally but not able to call outside the network. Do I need any Voice Interface?

Could Anyone suggest regarding this?

Regards

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

it depends on what type of circuit you have or you are getting.

• For SIP interface you dont need anything as traffic is delivered as IP
  • For PRI/T1/E1 you will need VWIC3 or VWIC2 MFT card
  • For POTS lines you will need VIC3-2FXO or VIC3-4FXO

Also, don't forget to ensure you have sufficient number of PVMDs in the router for TDM voice.

HTH, please rate all usful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

Emmanuel Valdez
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Anupam,

I think you arr confusing the ADSL line with the PSTN line, maybe you are receiving the internet with your analog line so you had have an ADSL card for the internet connection and one card for analog PSTN connection the part number depends on the analog lines that you have for example for two lines the number will be vwic2-2fxo, don't forget buy the PVDM module.

Regards.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Yes. On the FXO interface you will need to place an ADSL filter. Note the correct P/N is VIC2-2FXO.

You will also need UC license, and PVDM3 in the router for the voice card to work.

11 Replies 11

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

it depends on what type of circuit you have or you are getting.

• For SIP interface you dont need anything as traffic is delivered as IP
  • For PRI/T1/E1 you will need VWIC3 or VWIC2 MFT card
  • For POTS lines you will need VIC3-2FXO or VIC3-4FXO

Also, don't forget to ensure you have sufficient number of PVMDs in the router for TDM voice.

HTH, please rate all usful posts!

Chris

Hi

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.

I have got ADSL2 Line for phone connection and broadband service. I have configured cisco 2911 router so that I can use broadband internet through this into my PC. I insttaled cisco VDSL/ADSL CARD as a interface into router. rj11 cable is used to connect cisco router to PSTN line. I insttaled CME  on this router have registered 5 IP phones with this CME. But I cant make call outside the network using my this PSTN phone number.

I thiNK that I need kind of voice interface card to configure dial peers so that I could do call outside the network.

Ho can I khow it is POTS or E1 Sercuit?

Thanks

Regards

What VIC  Should I do if there is ISDN line?

Hi Anupam,

For ISDN line E1 you can use G2 series router (2911) VWIC3 cards are preferrable.

If you have 2 E1 circuits, then you can go for 2-port Card - VWIC3-2MFT-T1/E1

for 1 circuit use, 1-port Card - VWIC3-2MFT-T1/E1

HTH.

Sky,

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi

what Could I do if i have got PSTN broadband line specially ADSL 2 . I have got one vdsl/adsl card in my cisco router to connect to broadband through PSTN line.

What VIC Card should I use in this case?

Thank You

Regards

You have been (of course correctly ) answered already by Chris above, please read again.

Hi Chris,

Do I need any FXS port in c2911 as I have already got PSTN line in house on wall.

Thanks for your valuable support.

Regards

Emmanuel Valdez
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Anupam,

I think you arr confusing the ADSL line with the PSTN line, maybe you are receiving the internet with your analog line so you had have an ADSL card for the internet connection and one card for analog PSTN connection the part number depends on the analog lines that you have for example for two lines the number will be vwic2-2fxo, don't forget buy the PVDM module.

Regards.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi,

Thanks for suggestion. Could I use same ADSL line with PSTN  to connect vwic2-2fxo card using ADSL filters as I am using two card in this router.

Thank You

Regards

Yes. On the FXO interface you will need to place an ADSL filter. Note the correct P/N is VIC2-2FXO.

You will also need UC license, and PVDM3 in the router for the voice card to work.

Thanks ...Its really usefull.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: