cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice mail extension going to change

Vijay Patil
Level 3
Level 3

we are using unity connection 10.5 ....for some users we are going to change the VM extension...is there any way users can take there own VM backup ...so in case they require old VM to them they can retrive it 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As @Nithin Eluvathingal wrote you need to update the number on both CM and in CUC, or whatever VM system you happen to use. That's a pretty given, did not even contemplate that this is what you refer to. Once you have updated the directory number in CM and extension on the user in your VM system you should not have a problem to access the VM account.

Another given is that you should not remove and then add a new account in voicemail system as that obviously would cause you to loose all voice mail.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Are you going to change the extension for the user in CUC? If so why would you need to create a new account and do a backup/restore?

Response Signature

HEllo Roger..

Yes we are going to change the Extn in Cisco Unity Connection....

Few users asked us what about there old Voice mail obiously  they are no more avilable ..so they want there Voice mails to back up so that the can use if needed ..is there any chance before changing extn we can backup those VM for individuals ..

If all you do is change of the extension you should not loose any voice mails.

Would you mind to outline how you did this change, be as detailed as you can please?

Response Signature

Roger,

due to change in Service provider in site & no option to regain existing DID ...we need to change the DID for each user for IPT 

phones , CIPC ..as per our structure if we configure "X" DID number for any user ...we are using same "X" number in VM  configuration on CUC...

now challenge is if we configure the new DID n VM to users then there onld VM no more exist .rather may be we need to delet those old DID numbers in that case at user level how they backup the VM before we are going to perform change DID activity 

I still do not understand why you would need to remove the VM box to change the extension. We just did the very same thing for about 15K+ users and we did not remove a single account.

Just to be clear this is the setting you refer to right?
Snag_21ba450.png

Response Signature

Hello...

That means we need to change only IPT extn but the VM extn should remain the same 

Now I’m afraid that you lost me totally. The screen shot I provided shows the extension of a users voice mail account.

What do you mean by “That means we need to change only IPT extn but the VM extn should remain the same”? This doesn’t make any sense to me. Would you be so kind to elaborate. Please explain it as I’m five years old, aka be as specific as possible. If you can please use screenshots of what you are referring to as that would be o so much easier to understand.

Response Signature

Hello Rogger,

Suppose for user "Tom" I configure UDP,CIPC,Jabber profile with the Extne 1111 the nas per our standard we must configure his VM also with Extn 1111..

Now there change in DID from Telco we need to configure "Tom" UDP , CIPC , Jabber with extn 2222 but if i changed the VM for Tom 2222 then he may not able to access his previous VM in Extn 1111...

for that to no loose the VM already in 1111 ..i need to stay VM with 1111 & let other config with extn 2222..

thanks for patience...

As @Nithin Eluvathingal wrote you need to update the number on both CM and in CUC, or whatever VM system you happen to use. That's a pretty given, did not even contemplate that this is what you refer to. Once you have updated the directory number in CM and extension on the user in your VM system you should not have a problem to access the VM account.

Another given is that you should not remove and then add a new account in voicemail system as that obviously would cause you to loose all voice mail.

Response Signature

asper my knowledge if you are changing the user from TOM to JERRY, then TOM cannot access his VM. But in your case you are not changing the user.

what Voicemail platform are you using? 

Response Signature

what I understood is u r changing the extensions numbers of users as there is a change in DID.

when u change the extension u need to update the extension on unity. But if the users remains same and if ur not deleting the user, as per my knowledge old voicemail will not get affected.

Response Signature

if you are changing just extension, there is no need to have backup/Restore.

Response Signature

Yes we are going to change the Extn in Cisco Unity Connection....

Few users asked us what about there old Voice mail obiously  they are no more avilable ..so they want there Voice mails to back up so that the can use if needed ..is there any chance before changing extn we can backup those VM for individuals