cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice VLANs with Multiple IP Phone Systems

Paul Hodgson
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a legacy TDM ACD system used by the Call Centre running alongside CUCM 8.5 which is used by back office and admin staff.

When we implemented the Call Manager we configured all our access ports with the Voice VLAN to make any office moves and changes straight forward, regardless of whether or not the position would have a Cisco phone i.e. a cisco phone could be plugged into any floor port throughout the building and it would register.

Currently I am in the planning stages of replacing the legacy ACD system with Avaya Aura which will be running side by side with CUCM. My concern is that every time there are office moves, the access ports are going to have to be reconfigured to the Voice VLAN of the relevant system depending on which type of phone is at that desk.

Has anyone had similar experiences and found a solution?

Not ideal I presume, but was wondering if we could use the same Voice VLAN for both systems?

3 Replies 3

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

Don't know Avaya, but a voice VLAN is just a VLAN to separate voice from data and prioritize voice traffic on a trunk.

So why not put all voice in one VLAN? I assume there will be much traffic between CUCM and AVAYA and a different VLAn would require a L3

It's just a VLAN. Don't sweat it, stick them all in the same one. Nothing will explode.

Each phone system will have it's own way of locating the call processor.

CUCM = DHCP Option 150

Mitel = Some other DHCP option (128-130, and some others)

Avaya = DHCP option 176

etc...

So you can set all these on your scope, and each phone type will find it's server... 

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron nailed it. 

The VLAN part wont cause you a problem as they use different options for DHCP. 

To add to the two he listed Legacy Nortel is 91 or 92 if I remember right ..