cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail Light

Level 1
Level 1

Hi hopefully this isn't too stupid a question:

Someone in my office typed a (seemingly random) code into my Cisco IP 7940 phone, and it activated the Voicemail light and message on the screen. I don't even have voicemail! How do i turn it off? It's been there for months now. Apparently its a 5 or 6 digit code starting with a # or * and its a different code to turn it off than to turn it on??

Assuming i can't find the code to turn it off again, i'll have to log a fault with my company tech support - which would be admitting defeat!

Any help would be appricated.

9 Replies 9

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Gareth

IN your CUCM admin pages, find the voicemail section. It's in various places depending on the version... look for 'Message Waiting' - there will be a Message Waiting On and Message WAiting Off number.

Unity basically dials these numbers with the 'calling' number set to the phone it wants to turn the light on or off for, so you can just dial the 'off' number.

On version 8 ish it's at Advanced Features > Voice Mail > Message Waiting

Regards

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

hrm.. Thats going to be a problem then as all those sort of settings are locked/disabled and hidden. The only options i can even view in the phone settings are contrast and ring type (and ring type only has 3 tones) and their is no software running on the PC (that users can see anyway) so no options there either.

So this code is a number set by the company, and not a phone default then?

Hi Gareth,

There are two "virtual" extensions to light on and off the MWI (voicemail light) respectively, and these DNs are set by the administrator. You must check it in the CUCM or in the voicemail server.

BR

Drat. Looks like i'm going to have to admitt defeat and log a tech fault.

Okay thanks for the help.

Hi Gareth

That's correct- these are set by the installing engineer, using the admin interface. If you don't have the credentials for access, you'll have to log it with them.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

If you cannot access the admin page, you could see if that call shows up under "Placed Calls" in the phone directory, and then either increment or decrement the number by 1 as the MWI ON and OFF would typically be consecutive, so if you see 3001 was dialed, try 3000 or 3002.

Chris

Have you tried leaving yourself a voicemail and listening to the voicemail to receive the MWI off notification?

Chris

Chris has the right idea (+5). Leave yourself a vm and then listen to it. That should clear the light.

-bill

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

i don't have the functionality of voicemail so i can't unfortunately