Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP Configuration

abimadaro4462
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

As I don't have any experience with VoIP, can someone explain to me what does the below configuration do?

I want to understand the call direction.

dial-peer voice 200 voip
session protocol sipv2
session target ipv4:x.x.x.x:5060
session transport udp
incoming called-number 01T
voice-class codec 10
dtmf-relay sip-notify
clid network-provided
supplementary-service pass-through
no supplementary-service sip moved-temporarily
no supplementary-service sip refer
!
dial-peer voice 210 voip
session protocol sipv2
session target ipv4:x.x.x.x:5060
session transport udp
incoming called-number 01T
voice-class codec 10
dtmf-relay sip-notify
clid network-provided
supplementary-service pass-through

Regards,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Its not much complicated. when your router receive a call, before accepting the call router will check  if there is a dial peer configured.  when you configure incoming called-number 01T, you  ask the router to match a inbound call  with 01 and rest anything. accept the call matching  your  dial-peer. 

next step is to process the call or send the call to a destination. to do this router will use session target ipv4: mentioned. in your case it will be  2.2.2.2. Router send  the call to 2.2.2.2.

so when u send the call to 2.2.2.2, the router will use BVi1 interface as the source, so the SiP session will be between  1.1.1.1 to

2.2.2.2. imagine if there is one more interface configured on router called 3.3.3.3. based on your configuration , router will use 1.1.1.1 when initiating the sip session between 2.2.2.2. 

Regarding the direction,:- this is a inbound dial-peer, because we are using incoming called-number. if we use destination-pattern in dial-peer it we can say it as a outbound Dial-peer(destination-pattern will also be used for inbound match. to understand this you need to learn more about the dial-peers). 

Response Signature

View solution in original post

There are many different ways to achieve this, by reading your previous comments it’s quite clear that you don’t have a clear understanding on how dial peers operate. Recommend you to simply read up on the topic to gain a better understanding of how this functions. The very first answer you got has link to a excellent document about various techniques on how to match in- or outbound on dial peers. I would recommend you to use in via method or a wild card number match like inbound called . on your inbound dial peer and also to split the in- and outbound dial peers apart as it’s in my view makes it easier to follow the call as it flows through the router. Others have a different option on this, it’s a matter of preference.

As written before the dial peers you have will with the current configuration act as both in- and outbound if the call is destined to a called number that starts with 01 (inbound) and send it to the IP you have defined in your session target command (outbound). From what you wrote before this is the SIP server your service provider has on the SIP trunk service.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Its an incoming Sip dial peer when matched calls will be send to destination target   x.x.x.x:5060. 

you can learn more from below link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/call-routing-dial-plans/14074-in-dial-peer-match.html

Response Signature

I would say they are inbound and outbound dial peers that matches on called numbers that starts with 01 and then an indefinite number of more digits. The call is sent to the IP that is defined in the session target command.

Response Signature

So based on the below configuration can we say that calls are coming through BVI1 and being forwarded if they starts with 01 towards mentions SIP server in session target?

voice service voip
no ip address trusted authenticate
allow-connections sip to sip
fax protocol t38 version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback none
sip
bind control source-interface BVI1
bind media source-interface BVI1
header-passing
transport switch udp tcp
no call service stop

BVi1 interface is used for Sip communication both your control and media is binded  with BVI1 interface.

when an call comes with calling number starting with 01 it match dial peer 200 and 210. And it use the destination target mentioned in dial  peer  200/210 to forward the call. In your case the ip address x.x.x.x in dial peer. 

Response Signature

The bind statement on the global side will just mean that the gateway will use that as it’s source for communication. It won’t affect or control how the call gets in via the dial peers.

Otherwise yes your description of what will happen to the call is correct.

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg,
I'm not sure If I got you well, but in my case the bind statement is on the global side not on the dial peer side, so in that case what is the source of the call?

@ Nithin Eluvathingal
So the source of the calls is BVI1?

The source of outbound calls are the interface that is used in the bind statement you have in global configuration as you don’t have it defined on the dial peer.

Response Signature

BVI 1 will be the source interface used when processing the call. 

Dial-peer are used to match the dialed number based on calling and called information. in your case as you are using incoming called number 01 , the match will be based on calling informations. if the router receive call with calling information starting with 01, it will match the dial peer and use the destinations IP address mentioned in the dial-peer. when forwarding the call to destinations device, your router  will use BVI1 interface as the source interface for communication. 

Response Signature

Thanks for the link, can you check my comment below please

@abimadaro4462 Your query is partially answered. The dial-peer you have shared is used for inbound. Since, I dont have visibility of IP addresses used in session target ipv4 i CANNOT say there is outbound leg from Router to destination ip.

Usually in correct way, incoming called number is matched basis the incoming called number <pattern>. In your case you are matching prefix digits matching 01.

Now, bind command can be used globally like you have configured and can also be applied to individual dial-peers. Difference is when applied globally it affects to all the configuration. If u apply individually on dial-peer it applies to that dial-peer only.

now i see you are asking about the callflow. I would suggest you to be precise and help us to understand the issue you are facing so the experts in forum or someone you have gone through similar issue can suggest you right way.

Also just share your Router version. Execute show version after logging into your router. Share the output here.

after you get the version, you can google IOS guide for that version.

you can search for each command. The explanation will help you to understand.

*** Please rate helpful post. Please mark as answer if it solves your problem/query.
regards, Ritesh Desai

@Ritesh Desai, Thanks for the reply, I'm now a bit lost, because I've answers saying it's inbound, another saying it's outbound. Actually all what I want to know is the call flow as I don't have an issue on the configuration level or the service level, is it from BVI1 --> SIP Server (Which identified as a session target) or is it from SIP Server --> BVI1?

As for IP addresses, I have BVI1 interface 1.1.1.1, session target IPv4 2.2.2.2:5060, those are the only two IP addresses that I've on my router.

Its not much complicated. when your router receive a call, before accepting the call router will check  if there is a dial peer configured.  when you configure incoming called-number 01T, you  ask the router to match a inbound call  with 01 and rest anything. accept the call matching  your  dial-peer. 

next step is to process the call or send the call to a destination. to do this router will use session target ipv4: mentioned. in your case it will be  2.2.2.2. Router send  the call to 2.2.2.2.

so when u send the call to 2.2.2.2, the router will use BVi1 interface as the source, so the SiP session will be between  1.1.1.1 to

2.2.2.2. imagine if there is one more interface configured on router called 3.3.3.3. based on your configuration , router will use 1.1.1.1 when initiating the sip session between 2.2.2.2. 

Regarding the direction,:- this is a inbound dial-peer, because we are using incoming called-number. if we use destination-pattern in dial-peer it we can say it as a outbound Dial-peer(destination-pattern will also be used for inbound match. to understand this you need to learn more about the dial-peers). 

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: