cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voip registration issue

gregCcna5171
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SG300-28P switch and 2901 router with CME configured. I have DHCP configured on the
router which seems to work fine and my Voip phone configuration is configured with just the
basic config to get the phone to register and come up. However my voip phone continues to
say registration in progress. I verified the following is correct:

Auto-registration is disabled on Cisco CallManager.
The Cisco IP Phone is not receiving the DHCP server address.
The Cisco IP Phone is not receiving the IP address, subnet mask or default router address.
The Cisco IP Phone is not receiving the TFTP server.
The Cisco IP Phone is not receiving the correct Cisco CallManager addresses.

The phone still will not register. Is there anything else I should check to get this to work?

Resolution

15 Replies 15

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Fix all the things you say the phone is NOT receiving, you need basic IP information on the phone, and it needs the TFTP to download the configuration file to register to CME.

If auto-registration is disabled, then you had to manually configure the device in CME, refer to the CME administration guide for configuration steps.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I followed the basic config and have attached what it looks like. But the phone still will not register.

Have you already fixed all the below you said the phone is NOT receiving?

The Cisco IP Phone is not receiving the DHCP server address.
The Cisco IP Phone is not receiving the IP address, subnet mask or default router address.
The Cisco IP Phone is not receiving the TFTP server.
The Cisco IP Phone is not receiving the correct Cisco CallManager addresses.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yes, DHCP address on the phone from the scope that was created and I checked the phone and it has the TFTP server IP. The Call Manager Express IP is the same as the router.

Try changing the Option 150 address in your DHCP scope to your loopback ending in .5? 

Hi Jesse,

Just so I am clear, the loopback ends in .3 amd my voice sub-int ends in .5. So, you want me to try the Loopback?

Jesse

I reviewed  the config again and I changed the DHCP scope to .1, The .5 address was incorrect. After I did that and fixed the telephony statement the phone came up and I have a dial tone. However It still does not register. I did a show ephone register summary and it still shows unregistered.

Are you using two different routers for this? One is your voice gateway and one is your site's main router?

I think Jesse is correct in pointing out your option 150 configuration being the issue, but I would change it to option 150 ip 172.31.111.5 instead of .1 like you have in the configuration. See if that does it. If that doesn't correct it, start looking at routing issues in your network.

I am just using a SG300 switch for the phone and a 2901 router for the cme. The phone finally came up, which it did not before, but when I do a Show ephone register summary, it still shows unregistered. Changing the DHCP helped alot, I just need to see why the phone is not registered on the router. 

Do you have a DN configured on it? I'm not too familiar w/ CME, but I know for CUCM, you should have a DN configured before it registers properly. 

Here are the new configs that got the phone at least up with a dial tone. I am just trying to figure out why it has not registered.

Can you run show voice register pool 1 and see if it pops up there? I noticed you have a voice register pool and ephone configuration, so that might pop up in the register pool instead?

Yes, It does show up in the voice register pool and it does seem to work. So, I guess I really do not need the ephone config if I have the voice register pool configured.

I thank you so much for the help.

I wish I could offer more authoritative help but I'm just not that familiar with CME commands (although I'm sure we're in the right place for someone to contribute). One recommendation I have: double check the model and tftp files you have configured. I noticed in your first config you had a 7811 for your phone but now you have a 7970. Maybe you have some remnants of the old config that are conflicting with the registration. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: