Helpful
Replies

voip routing problem

Andrea_83
Level 1
Level 1

hello guys, 

i need your help!!

My boss ask to me to study the combination of nat, voip and routing, so i need to create a scenario as in attached topology.

My big problem is to use THE SAME addresses in both the networks. i've to be able to give unique ip addresses and unique telephone numbers and i need to garantee comunication via wan...

can you help please?

thx in advance

Andrea

3 Replies 3

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Andrea,

I don't see how this would work. How would a 192.168.2.x device on the left side of the network know how to route to a 192.168.2.x device on the right? With 192.168.2.x/24 all traffic for this subnet will be dropped on the wire. It will never try to cross the network boundary. Why not use different subnets? This would simplify the problem, allow proper routing of traffic, allow for the separation of voice and data, etc.

Brandon

Hi Andrea,

Just adding to Brandon's point.

You may use the Same Range of IP Addressing on both sides As Long As the devices on the Networks are being NATted to a different range..

i.e. Both  he LHS and RHS Data Network can keep 192.168.1.x/24 as long as LHS has a Static NAT for all the devices to some other unique network e.g. 172.16.1.0/24 and vice versa.

So, whenever the LHS Data Network (192.168.1.x/24) wants to reach the RHS Data Network, they must be NATted to 172.16.1.x/24 and whenever the RHS Network wants to reach the LHS Data Network they must be NATted to for example 172.15.1.x/24

HTH

Hello guys,

thanks for your help :) 

Wilson, i'm studing back nat and i would like to better understand your words.

I should create a nat entry that say: if the packet have this destination address (that i know be in remote network) nat the source address field  it and then route it?  

so i could reach the other network with a source ip address that is not in 192.168.1.x?