cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP The most basic lab environment without CUCME?

Patryczek803
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I am already prepared for my ICND2 but I was wondering if there is any chance to build a simple VOIP topology at home? I was thinking of router, 2switches, 2 cisco phones. Can it be done without using CUCME? I was looking online but there are only simple configurations available using either GNS3 or Packet Tracer. So my question is can I create one vlan add cisco phones using terminal and will they be able to ring each other?

Thanks in advance,

Patryk

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need CME, either on a physical ISR, or with GNS3, though I'm not sure if you do get the full CME on GNS3

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, ip phones are dumb endpoints that depend on the call control agent for call routing and other features.

you would need to buy telepresence endpoints which can be used as standalone and dial via IP to do what you're asking.

HTH

java

Thank you Jaime for your response! So what would you propose to buy to create the simplest VOIP network? 

You need CME, either on a physical ISR, or with GNS3, though I'm not sure if you do get the full CME on GNS3

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: