cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What equipment is need to build a CUCM lab at home?

jeanSD
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, my apology for not posting a technical question. I'm a Avaya tech who wants to learn Cisco CUCM by building a mini CUCM home lab.  I'm seeing a lot CME  lab kits on Ebay however, I believe CUCM and CME are completely different from each other correct?  If so, is it feasible to build a CUCM lab at home and what is the basic gear needed to do so?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, CUCM runs on a a Linux build, RHEL or CentOS on newer releases.

CME runs on IOS.

For a true CUCM environment, which I would recommend to avoid running into issues and trying to work around issues, you need to meet the requirements outlined here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/cisco-collaboration-virtualization.html

See 3rd column.

CUCM is not free to download (no bootable media is posted, and you need a CCO with a valid contract for updates), to do this legally, you'd need to be part of a partner to get an NFR kit and licensing for it, otherwise, CUCM would only run for a limited amount of time before locking any MACD and you'd need to reinstall and re-configure to get more time.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, CUCM runs on a a Linux build, RHEL or CentOS on newer releases.

CME runs on IOS.

For a true CUCM environment, which I would recommend to avoid running into issues and trying to work around issues, you need to meet the requirements outlined here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/cisco-collaboration-virtualization.html

See 3rd column.

CUCM is not free to download (no bootable media is posted, and you need a CCO with a valid contract for updates), to do this legally, you'd need to be part of a partner to get an NFR kit and licensing for it, otherwise, CUCM would only run for a limited amount of time before locking any MACD and you'd need to reinstall and re-configure to get more time.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

What would be the best way to get familiar with the basics of CUCM
virtually?

I'm building a lab right now with the only real investments being a dell r610 server I bought from a sporting store in st louis that was going out of business for $100, and a Cisco 2921 router I bought from an e-recycling warehouse for $50.  I am a voice engineer, so I already have access to the bootable .iso's, so that wasn't an issue for me, but might be for you.  I downloaded VMWare ESXi 6.5OU3 from the VMWare website as a trial, also using the CUCM trial license, and the router trial license.  I will have to reinstall everything in a few months to continue it, but I will have backups of all of my configurations for a simple restoration.

As I've been building my home lab I've been blogging about it on my website www.ijustcant.today.

I've got a few posts I'm still editing but will be posted soon about configuring CUCM, configuring my CUBE, and configuring "a call".

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For home lab purposes you can get a decent server from eBay for couple hundred bucks, I have Dell server which I got for $400 couple of years ago allowing me to run 6-8 virtual machines at the same time with no visible performance issues. You may just need to look around for sometime to find a good deal, plenty of resellers out there selling out old inventory which is ideal for labs.