cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is minimum requirement for configuring isdn for voip?

eigrpy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

The below configurations can work for the two routers(Rb—R1) connected with each other. But when the same configuration are used between two router( Rb—R2), these commands can not work, which means output of the commands (show isdn status) shows “State = TEI_ASSIGNED” There are  different protocols for the configuration though the main commands are same. I would like to know the minimum requirement for configuring isdn for two routers.

I think, the below configuration is minimum configuration for isdn between two router(2811). If I am wrong, can you correct these commands? How do you think about the configuration? Thank you.

network-clock-participate wic 0

network-clock-select 1 t1 0/0/0

controller t1 0/0/0

pri-group timeslots 1-24 

no shut

interface Serial0/0/0:23

encapsulation hdlc

isdn switch-type primary-ni

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager

isdn protocol-emulate network (or user)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

these are the basic configuration for you to make it work also you need to a T1 Cable connected to T1 Controller . Here layer 3 controlled by CUCM hence you need to add those command to make it work.

controller T1 x/y/z
 pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp

no ip address
 encapsulation hdlc
 isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager
 isdn outgoing display-ie
 isdn outgoing ie redirecting-number
 no cdp enable
!

ccm-manager redundant-host y.y.y.y  ==========This command needed when you have redundancy
ccm-manager mgcp
ccm-manager music-on-hold
!
mgcp
mgcp call-agent X.x.x.x service-type mgcp version 0.1

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/90521/mgcp-gateway-integration-cucm-and-pstn-service-provider

Please also refer to above doc as well.

Br,

Nadeem Ahmed

Ps: Please rate all useful post

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If that's supposed to be MGCP, you're missing things, there are plenty of examples on cisco.com, CSC, and I also have one in my FAQ, there's no shortage of examples if you search.

and also, do you have a crossover cable already connected??????

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you for your reply. You are right. If it is for mgcp, we should add service mgcp behind timeslot 1-24. I made the RJ48. It can work

these are the basic configuration for you to make it work also you need to a T1 Cable connected to T1 Controller . Here layer 3 controlled by CUCM hence you need to add those command to make it work.

controller T1 x/y/z
 pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp

no ip address
 encapsulation hdlc
 isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager
 isdn outgoing display-ie
 no cdp enable
!

ccm-manager redundant-host y.y.y.y  ==========This command needed when you have redundancy
ccm-manager mgcp
ccm-manager music-on-hold
!
mgcp
mgcp call-agent X.x.x.x service-type mgcp version 0.1

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/90521/mgcp-gateway-integration-cucm-and-pstn-service-provider

Please also refer to above doc as well.

Br,

Nadeem Ahmed

Ps: Please rate all useful post

Thank you so much for your good reply and the link as well. 

One more thing that I am still confused. Can we say without gateway configuration, the two routers also can establish the normal isdn connection? that means the router can show "State = MULTIPLE_FRAME_ESTABLISHED" when using show isdn status

Layer 3 controlled by CUCM hence you required mgcp command in order established

Regards

Rajeev 

When you Gateway is controlled as MGCP by CUCM then you need to put those command where layer 3 back-hauled/controlled by CUCM .

Secondly when your Gateway is SIP/H.323 then you just need put below command to make ISDN works ie Multiframe established.

controller 0/0/0

pri-group timeslot 1-24

no ip address
 encapsulation hdlc
 isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager ==============you don't need this command when its not mgcp.
 isdn outgoing display-ie
 no cdp enable

above configuration mere required between two router/Gateway/CME end to end PRI ISDN connection to work.

Br,

Nadeem Ahmed

PS: Please rate all useful post.

Do you think that without gateway configuration(mgcp, h323 or sip), the isdn can work well(with "State = MULTIPLE_FRAME_ESTABLISHED")? Thanks

It should not, as ISDN is just a telephone line that provides two primary channels for communication, you should have the BRI configuration necessary for the router to communicate with the Telco ISDN switch. and you perform bri configuration on a router/gateway to establish connection to your telco. and these are isdn states which can be seen from gateways/routers only if configured properly. refer below docs for more on the same.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/integrated-services-digital-networks-isdn-channel-associated-signaling-cas/5705-bri-sh-isdn-stat.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/srnd/design/guide/cmesrnd/gatewy.html

Thank you. I agree

controller 0/0/0

pri-group timeslot 1-24

no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager ==============you don't need this command when its not mgcp.
isdn outgoing display-ie
no cdp enable

above configuration mere required between two router/Gateway/CME end to end PRI ISDN connection to work.

These above commands do not include the command:

isdn protocol-emulate network

without the command, I cannot have the isdn work well between the two routers when using show isdn status. Do I miss something? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: