Views
Helpful
Replies

what is MTP

bo liu
Level 4
Level 4

hello every

i have a question about MTP,what is MTP (Media Termination Points),which case i should use it??

this doc , i already read,but i can't understand...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

These answers are very generic and the role of an MTP device in a telephony deployment is varied and diverse depending on your design, components and technology.

MTP is needed in these scenarios

1. DTMF mismatch eg h323 to sip or mgcp to sip deployment using traditional DTMF method.

2. Media termination in a uccx deployment over sip trunks

3. Trans rating/re-packetization I.e converting from 20ms packetization to 30ms

4. Supplementary services in some scenarios

5. SDP offer in early offer on a sip trunk

6. Fast start on h323 gateways.

In some of the scenarios cucm allocates MTP dynamically, in other cases you need to force the use of MTP otherwise calls will fail. Understanding your topology and the interdependence of each component is paramount in determining if you need an MTP PR not

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hi

A Media Termination Point (MTP) is invoked on  behalf of H.323 endpoints involved in a call in order to enable  supplementary call services.

Supplementary services are features, such as Call  Hold, Call Transfer, Call Park, and Conferencing, that are otherwise not  available when a call is routed to an H.323 endpoint.

Thre are other uses of the MTP, like RSVP and in CUBE etc.

regards

Ronak Patel

rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Hi Ronak,

H323 supports ECS, do we really MTP for hold/transfer, or is there a special scenario, when H323 requires MTP, please advise, thanks

cheers,

Shaggy

the MTP is just used for H323 endpoint?

for  SCCP and SIP no need?

HI

It is required by any endpoints based on the function. It is not only limited to h.323.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

e.....

but no error  if i'm not config it

...which case i should use it?

in my case, i use cisco ip phone

Hi,

Media Termination Point is basically an entity that accepts two full-duplex media streams.

MTP can be used for H.323 supplementary services like call hold,Outbound FastStart , H.323 Trunks.

regds,

aman

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

These answers are very generic and the role of an MTP device in a telephony deployment is varied and diverse depending on your design, components and technology.

MTP is needed in these scenarios

1. DTMF mismatch eg h323 to sip or mgcp to sip deployment using traditional DTMF method.

2. Media termination in a uccx deployment over sip trunks

3. Trans rating/re-packetization I.e converting from 20ms packetization to 30ms

4. Supplementary services in some scenarios

5. SDP offer in early offer on a sip trunk

6. Fast start on h323 gateways.

In some of the scenarios cucm allocates MTP dynamically, in other cases you need to force the use of MTP otherwise calls will fail. Understanding your topology and the interdependence of each component is paramount in determining if you need an MTP PR not

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate all useful posts

Hi Aokanlawon,

Thank you very much for reply, I need some more information for supplementary service scenario's, please provide a scenario, when MTP is invoked for supplementary service, thanks

cheers,

Shaggy