cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the bandwidth used by IP phones normally in an IP network?

techToddler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

Could someone explain me how much does a SCCP or SIP phone uses bandwidth just by registering to CUCM or call signaling? Thanks.

Regards

Sanjay. 

5 Replies 5

Vivek Batra
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sanjay,

I don't think you will get the reference specific to registration only, although SRND covers the topic with respect to bandwidth availability depends on number of phones. Please check the topic 'Provisioning for Call Control Traffic with Centralized Call Processing' in SRND.

Since call control signalling is designed to absorb bit of delay in the network hence more attention needs to be given to media traffic, same chapter of SRND covers this aspect too.

- Vivek

Thank you Vivek,

I checked that. My question or what I am trying to understand is the amount of bandwidth or kbps used by a single phone to make itself registered to CUCM. Just the keepalives. what is the amount that the single phone uses it?

Regards

Sanjay.

If you are not worried about the actual bandwidth required by phone for call control signaling in real deployment and just want to see the amount of bandwidth used during SINGLE registration process, you can check the message size of REGISTER and subsequent 200 OK (also 4XX if authentication is enabled). 

- Vivek

Thank you Vivek,

Regards

Sanjay. 

Hi

I have the same question or nose if it is similar or different
I would like to know how much bandwidth is consumed, only when the phone is registered, without making any calls, just registered, what happens is that we will place a centralized solution and we need to size QoS with the SP to guarantee good voice communication through the WAN, in a remote location I will have 140 telephones and I need to know how much BW needed separates for the voice QoS,
There is documentation of how much you consume per call according to the codec, but you can not find any document of how much a Cisco phone consumes just because it is registered to the Call Manager (this is for remote sites that go through a wan)

Any comments will be welcome.

Regards

Carlos P