Views
Helpful
Replies

What would cause G729 over a PRI?

HEATH FREEL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am troubleshooting an ongoing issue with a customer on a call quality issue. I am sure this has nothing to do with it, but am confused as to why I would see two different codecs on a PRI... I ususally only see G711.

0/0/0:23.1      g711ulaw   n  S_CONNECT             
0/0/0:23.2      g729br8    n  S_CONNECT        

Thanks in advance.

Heath.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is showing you what the VoIP side of the call is using. The DSP has to convert the TDM signaling into one codec or another and this call negotiated G.729. This is either CUCM's doing (e.g. region configuration); or, the gateway choose a different dial-peer; the default is G.729 unless you specify otherwise on VoIP dial-peers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There nothing but G.711 on PRis.

Maybe your gateway has negotiated G.729, check config.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is showing you what the VoIP side of the call is using. The DSP has to convert the TDM signaling into one codec or another and this call negotiated G.729. This is either CUCM's doing (e.g. region configuration); or, the gateway choose a different dial-peer; the default is G.729 unless you specify otherwise on VoIP dial-peers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: