cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

why does a Cisco IP phone download It's configuration everytime it's switched on/powers up ?

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I'm not sure as to why the phone downloads It's config. via TFTP everytime it receives power.Is that a setting that can be changed or Is the config lost when the phone powers down ? I'm just curious as to what's going on exactly.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To make sure it has the latest config file

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

I cannot really see any reason why you would not want the phone to download its config file every time. They very rarely reboot in most deployments and the amount of data transferred is pretty minimal.

If you really want to stop this behaviour try moving the phone to a network whose DHCP scope does not supply the address of the TFTP server via Option 150.

One of my customers did this by sending some phones from London to their Athens office. The phones registered ok and could be reset etc. This only became an issue when we wanted to move them to another cluster and were not able to do by just editing the DHCP scope. In the end I used some phone remote control software to configure a static alternate TFTP server on the phones.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To make sure it has the latest config file

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I cannot really see any reason why you would not want the phone to download its config file every time. They very rarely reboot in most deployments and the amount of data transferred is pretty minimal.

If you really want to stop this behaviour try moving the phone to a network whose DHCP scope does not supply the address of the TFTP server via Option 150.

One of my customers did this by sending some phones from London to their Athens office. The phones registered ok and could be reset etc. This only became an issue when we wanted to move them to another cluster and were not able to do by just editing the DHCP scope. In the end I used some phone remote control software to configure a static alternate TFTP server on the phones.

I was Just curious as to If they could store the configuration after a shutdown or not.

Thanks for the info guys.