cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why the Voice mail ports need AAR CSS and Group?

vinojesh1994
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Do you guys know why the Voice mail ports need AAR CSS and Group? Where it comes into the Picture....

5 Replies 5

tobin hawkshaw
Level 1
Level 1

yep, what would happen if a remote site forwarded calls to voicemail across the wan but there wasn't enough bw?

For inbound: the remote site then (via mgcp for example) attempts to call the voicemail ports external number mask over its ISDN connection using the AAR CSS to find the route pattern/route group to go out of.

That way you can still get to voicemail from a remote site even when the wan is down.

for Outbound: the voicemail ports make outbound calls to users phones for notification, forwarding, operators etc... this also needs AAR if the wan is down and these phones are remote.

hth

please rate helpful  posts

Tobin,

You said that the remote site then (via mgcp for example) attempts to call the voicemail ports external number mask over its ISDN connection using the AAR CSS while the WAN is running out of BW. Does it mean that the directory no's configured on the VM ports need to be a valid DID to route thru PSTN, it can't be a dummy no.??

no, the external phone number mask, is used, along with the aar mask to route the call after the 'not enough bw' message.

i.e. VM port 5001, with external phone number mask of +223425XXXX

a phone at the remote site will use +2234255001 when it dials the number under an AAR condition.

The same will happen when the voicemail port dials the remote phone, under AAR it will use a mixutre of the phones external number maks and the AAR mask (if it exists) to dial the number.

The full number should be routable in CUCM via the route patterns.

hth

Tobin,

I am still under confusion. The first thing I wanted to make sure is why Cisco has got the CSS on VM Port and its Directory number, what is the need to have the CSS on both places. As far as I understood, the VMports are used for communication between CUCM and Unity. For the time being I am telling you with an example, if the user wants to hear his Voicemail and presses the Message button on his phone and it will dial the VMpilot number using VM Profile which is configured in the User's phone settings. We know that VM pilot has got the CSS to dial the VM port's Directory no., then the Directory no. will dial the user's extension to unity by using its own CSS to reach the subscriber of the user in unity. Here the VM port's CSS is nowhere in the picture. If Cisco reasonably configured the CSS for VM ports, it should dial something in somewhere, so where the VM ports use its CSS to dial that something. Once we got a clear vision on this, we will move on to the original discussion.

I am looking for a stunning answer from you...............

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

AAR is only used when there is not enough bandwidth NOT WAN down, the only way to make use of AAR is to

reduce the BW down to say 1k when the WAN is down  so AAR kicks in