cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why was my phone registration rejected

dan hale
Level 3
Level 3

I have a phone that in CUCM says that it was rejected. It looks like I have enough licenses, It obtains and IP address but, I can not web to that URL. I have other phones of the same type at this site that are working. I have reset and deleted the phone and recreated it.

I'm not onsite so I cannont navigate thru the menu on the phone. This is CUCM 10.5.

Is there somewhere in RTMT to see why this rejecting keeps taking place?

Thanks, 

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan - Mainly thats what I do: Go to switch and use CDP to confirm the model, check the VLAN/IP address etc. Compare with the CUCM the model etc. Go to phone web page, and check logs etc. You can also check phone status messages.

Mostly phone wouldnt register in below cases:

1) Incorrect config in CUCM (as was your case)

2) It has an ITL file from another cluster

3) SIP phone and first line is not configured

4) As a last resort factory reset the phone.

If you do above you dont need to go to RTMT. But for knowledge sake, you can go to RTMT>Tools>Syslog Viewer

Select the call manager node > Application Logs> Alternate Logs (Sort by time and you should see the device attempting to register and any failure reason ) So if you explore the Sys logs you should get a clue.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Whats the phone model? If its a SIP phone make sure you have extension assigned to it.

If extension is already assigned, then either deleting the ITL file on the phone or factory resetting the phone usually resolved the issue for me in the past - given the base details like mac-address/phone model etc are correctly configured.

-Terry

Thanks Terry I'm ashamed to say sometimes the easiest solution is the correct. CDP confirmed we had the wrong phone type programmed.

I would still like to know if there is any RTMT logging that would give some indication of why its not registering. During the troubleshooting process I was expecting the worst.

Dan - Mainly thats what I do: Go to switch and use CDP to confirm the model, check the VLAN/IP address etc. Compare with the CUCM the model etc. Go to phone web page, and check logs etc. You can also check phone status messages.

Mostly phone wouldnt register in below cases:

1) Incorrect config in CUCM (as was your case)

2) It has an ITL file from another cluster

3) SIP phone and first line is not configured

4) As a last resort factory reset the phone.

If you do above you dont need to go to RTMT. But for knowledge sake, you can go to RTMT>Tools>Syslog Viewer

Select the call manager node > Application Logs> Alternate Logs (Sort by time and you should see the device attempting to register and any failure reason ) So if you explore the Sys logs you should get a clue.

-Terry

Thanks Terry!

jtorrico
Level 1
Level 1
I had this problem too, and it was solved by permiting TFTP protocol from the phone's zone to the CUCM zone in the firewall. Best regards.

engkholaif
Level 1
Level 1

the problem with me that when I tried to register phone with in the same lan with the asterisk server work fine, but when I tried to register in branch connected with asterisk server VPN not register.

Your answer is completely off-topic to the OP and the post is marked as solved since many years ago. Please refrain from commenting on posts with irrelevant information.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: