cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wildcard in Unity Connect 7.1 Alternate Extension?

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

We have a need to have more than 9 alternate extensions on a VM box.  Most of the extensions are in numerical order, so can we use a wildcard for the last digit?  If so would it be X or ?

Many thanks in advance!

Art

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The field accepts alphanumeric values, BUT, that's because it can leverage sip DNs.

That's why the X was not taken as a a wildcard but as the X alphabetic character.

There are no wildcard characters for that field.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Can you describe the scenario that requires you to have so many alternate extensions?

There may be other solutions..

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Art,

I thought this was an interesting question so I gave it a try

In CUC admin I added 830x as an Alternate extension string

under MB 5126. The system allowed the entry to be saved but

didn't actually work. When I changed the entry to 8303 (the DN I was

testing with) all worked as it should.

One thing I noticed was this that you may be able to leverage (for a total of 19);

Alternate Extensions

In addition to the primary extension for each user, you can set  up alternate extensions. Alternate extensions can be used for various reasons,  such as handling multiple line appearances on user phones. Alternate extensions  can also make calling Cisco Unity Connection from an alternate device-such as a  mobile phone, a home phone, or a phone at another work site-more convenient.

When you specify the phone number for an alternative extension,  Connection handles all calls from that number in the same way that it handles  calls from a primary extension (assuming that ANI or caller ID is passed along  to Connection from the phone system). This means that Connection associates the  alternate phone number with the user account, and when a call comes from that  number, Connection prompts the user to enter a password and log on.

If users set an alternate device to forward to Connection,  callers can hear the user greeting and leave messages for the user, just as they  would when dialing the primary extension of the user. (Callers can also be  transferred to the alternate extension for a user from the automated attendant.)  Users need to set forwarding from the device itself, not in Connection. Note  that the phone number must be passed to Connection for the system to recognize  the device.

Users can also address messages to an alternate extension that is  associated with another user.

Alternate extensions are grouped into two categories:  administrator-defined alternate extensions and user-defined alternate  extensions. Administrators can add up to 9 alternate extensions. Users can add  up to 10 alternate extensions if they belong to a class of service that allows  them to manage user-defined alternate extensions. Administrators can view and  edit both administrator-defined and user-defined alternate extensions. Users can  view administrator-defined alternate extensions if they belong to a class of  service that allows them to.

Note that you cannot specify alternate extensions on a user  template.

From the online help in CUC

If 19 is not enough let us know what functionality you are after and there may be another method

to accomplish what you need.

Cheers!

Rob

The field accepts alphanumeric values, BUT, that's because it can leverage sip DNs.

That's why the X was not taken as a a wildcard but as the X alphabetic character.

There are no wildcard characters for that field.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks Guys, good and usefull info.

Rob - meant to give you 5 stars but accidently clicked 3 and the system won't let me change it - sorry!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: