cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless handset for desk phone

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Is there such a thing as a wireless handset that would sit in cradle no cords like this only WIRELESS 7960The new Cisco® Unified Wideband Handset significantly enhances the Cisco Unified IP phone communications by providing a clearer and richer audio experience. The new handset provides an audio frequency response that is more than double when compared to the traditional narrowband audio used on most of today's telephones. The result is an enhanced audio experience that makes communications a more intelligible and more comfortable user experience. The new handset is sold as an add-on accessory that can be installed to many Cisco Unified IP phone models. And when combined with the G.722 Wideband codec, the result is a superior audio experience.

---

Posted by WebUser Sean Michael Hall

7 Replies 7

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No there is not. I have encountered exactly what you're describing but it was a competing PBX vendor, either Siemens or Mitel I believe has this.

With Cisco phones you need a wireless headset. Current models (79x2 and 79x5) do allow you to use an Electronic Hookswitch Cable with the headset base station instead of a mechanical handset lifter.

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Well can you invent one please?

---

Some more modern Cisco phones (8945, 9951 and 9971) have Bluetooth built in and so can be paired with a wireless headset. Cisco recommend the Jawbone ICON for this purpose.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps10655/ps11204/C78-615196-00_Jawbone_ICON_Cisco_Bluetooth_Headset_DS.pdf

This is the most modern approach for wireless with Cisco desk phones - be sure that your version of CUCM supports these phones though. As Jonathan mentioned you can get wireless headsets for older Cisco 79xx phones and some of these can work very well. One of my customers uses Plantronics CS50-USB headsets which seem to work quite well.

http://www.plantronics.com/hk/product/cs50-usb

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

My questions was exclusively focused on a Handset, wire head sets have been around for a long time

---

As have wireless handsets: Nortel had them at least as early as the 1990's.

You're asking for a product that Cisco currently does not offer. Your best course of action would be to write your business case - including financial justification - and discuss it with your Cisco AM. They can submit a PERS (or whatever we're calling it these days) to the appropriate BU. I'll give you a hint: Do not use 'cool' or 'competitor x has it' as your justification. If you can't come up with a real business case it'll be shrugged off and thrown in the circular file by the BU.

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, but most of those had buttons on them and you could dial and do other stuff, wireless handset that simply has a microphone and earspeaker I have not seen that much of

---

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The following are Cisco's wireless VoIP products:

1.  7900 - 7921G, 7925G/7925G-EX and 7926G

2.  9900 - 9971

Only the 9971 "looks" like a 7960.  It's basically a desktop phone that works either as wired or wireless.  By default the network priority is wired, but if there's none it'll go for wireless.  If there was a choice between wireless and wired, the9971 will always choose wired and disable the wireless interface.

The 9971 is a "hybrid", if I am allowed to call it that way, between the chipset of the 7925G and a 9951.

Take note that unlike the 7921G, 7925G/7925G-EX and 7926G, the 9971 requires a power source so you'll need a CP-PWR-CUBE-4.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: