Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless options for CUCM

mlong0000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a customer running CUCM 6.1 There is no wireless solution in place and the customer does not want to implement a wireless solution. They do however want some cordless phones. These phones do not need to roam to different areas. They just need a range of about 15-20 feet. I know of some DECT/SIP phones such as Kirk and Siemens but I'm wondering about functionality. So the obvious question, which is the best solution to put in? Which of these phones will offer the most i.e. will be able to transfer back to the Cisco IP phones?

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

If you are using DECT phones with FXS Ports, like ports from a VG224 or ATA

you should be good to go Make sure the Cordless phone has a "Flash/Link"

button or equivalent to accomplish Hookswitch style Transfers. We just

hooked up a VTech DECT model (off a VG248) in one of the Kitchen areas

here on our Campus and it's working just fine.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

If you are using DECT phones with FXS Ports, like ports from a VG224 or ATA

you should be good to go Make sure the Cordless phone has a "Flash/Link"

button or equivalent to accomplish Hookswitch style Transfers. We just

hooked up a VTech DECT model (off a VG248) in one of the Kitchen areas

here on our Campus and it's working just fine.

Cheers!

Rob

One other option for consideration: If the phones do not roam beyond 15-20 feet you could hang up a single Access Point without any of the more costly controller infrastructure and associate the phone to it using a PSK SSID. Simple, all-IP, and feature-parity with other 7900 phones.

I had thought of the standalone access point which would be a simple solution but they are trying to keep wireless out of the building. Its a bit of if one person gets one everybody will want one.

Its a bit of if one person gets one everybody will want one.

Disagree on this point.  In one place, we hung 75 WAPs but we didnt' tell the staff they what they were and what they can deliver.  Everyone in the area thinks that in order for an area to get wireless look for a "box" with black-colored antennas sticking out.  With 1130 hanging from a ceiling they thought it was part of the building!

Like any organization, they won't know what they are missing if they don't use it.  We started by putting wireless, next we purchased about 3-5 units of 7921 and 7925.  Next we took those to the school during the wireless implementation stage.  Next thing we know, we are being swamped with questions and demos about the wireless phones.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Fair enough you hung the access points and nobody asked questions. But didn't you end up with giving demos and having a lot of questions about wireless phones? Would that not have resulted in rolling out more wireless phones? This is the situation we need to avoid.

Thanks Rob. Looks like that might be the option.

williams-keith
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Michael,

Have you considered using Bluetooth headsets?

Hi Keith,

indeed, the other option I have given is to use the bluetooth headset. Personally I think its an easier option. Unfortunately the decision is not mine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: