cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

15.1 License Level for ipv6?

iain
Level 1
Level 1

Specifically looking at branch routers here.

Under IOS 12.4 it was very easy to identify what features were included in a specific firmware build, you just powered up the software feature navigator entered your router and what feature you required and you would be provided with a list of firmware images to upgrade to/purchase to achieve the desired feature.

Unfortunately with 15.1 licensing this no longer works, it appears that every feature is shown as available in the "UNIVERSAL DATA" image with the unhelpful comment at the end of the list indicating that some features may require an additional license but with no pointer to discover which license level contains which feature.

To give an example, try searching for images for the CISCO887VA-M Integrated Services Router. This is available in 2 flavours ADVANCED SECURITY & ADVANCED IP SERVICES, now ADV SEC does support ipv6 but the question is how much of the ipv6 feature set does it support before an upgrade to ADV IP SERVICES is required?

Thanks for any pointers,

Iain

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ROBERTO GIANA
Level 4
Level 4

Starting with IOS 15.x IPv6 features follow the IPv4 features. So you have to take care about if that feature is generally supported by your license. But you don't have to take care if it's in IPv4 or IPv6. Unless the feature itself is not supported in IPv6 at all. There are documents about the feature packaging of the licenses of IOS 15.x. There is also the referred statement about IPv4 and IPv6 parity. A year ago I was told that the feature navigator is undergoing a redesign, because of the introduction of IOS 15.x. But I don't know if it's realy true. There hasen't been any changes for to long time. To me it has become a useless tool for daily business.

Starting with newer 12.2 IOSes IPv6 has been ported down from the Adv-IP-Services to IP-Services feature sets for Catalyst switches. In fact there isn't anymore Adv-IP-Services for access switches, e.g. for the Cat3750 or the Cat3560 series. All features are now in IP-Services.

I hope this helps a little bit.

View solution in original post

Some further internal discussion indicates that the 800 series are on a different licensing model. 

The product manager notes that this URL explains the packaging/licensing on the ISR 8xx series

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/white_paper_c11_499859.html

This is the counterpart for all the other ISR G2s:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9000809

Unfortunately, they are silent on the IPv6 requirements.  He mentioned in an email that Full IPv6 support is in the "Advanced IP Services" license for the 8xx series routers.  This is completely different from the packaging/licensing structure for the other (modular) ISR G2s 19xx, 29xx and 39xx.

Sorry for the confusion, I am trying to get the documetation on the web site clarified.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Gerald Vogt
Level 3
Level 3

I think the Software Advisor does know about the different licenses and feature sets.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/Fusion/FusionHome.do

However, I think the 887VA is not supported...

Thanks for the response. The 887VA is listed on the feature navigator http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp that Vinay posted to the documents section of this area so I'm assuming it is more up to date. Unfortunately this tool doesn't differentiate between the license levels.

It doesn't have to be an interactive tool, a PDF listing would be just as useful.

Thi seems like a bug with Feature Navigator.  "Universal Data" is not a feature set.  Unles sthe platform only ships with on feature set, it seems like feature navigator is no correctly configured.

I would open a case. 

Thanks,

I ended up trying that and TACS also confirmed that the documentation on the website is out of date. Unfortunately they were unable to supply any documentation detailing the feature levels of the respective licenses, but did indicate that we required "Adv IP Services" to access "ipv6 pppoa".

Iain

Phillip,

universal is the image, data is the license required.

There are 2 images available for ISR G2 routers Universal and universal no payload encryption (this is the only image exportable to countries to which Cisco cannot export strong crypto).

The licenses are IPBase, Data and Security.

Then there are the WebVPN seats and the contracts for IDS.

So in fact Universal Data is universal image with Data license.

Cheers

Fabio

ROBERTO GIANA
Level 4
Level 4

Starting with IOS 15.x IPv6 features follow the IPv4 features. So you have to take care about if that feature is generally supported by your license. But you don't have to take care if it's in IPv4 or IPv6. Unless the feature itself is not supported in IPv6 at all. There are documents about the feature packaging of the licenses of IOS 15.x. There is also the referred statement about IPv4 and IPv6 parity. A year ago I was told that the feature navigator is undergoing a redesign, because of the introduction of IOS 15.x. But I don't know if it's realy true. There hasen't been any changes for to long time. To me it has become a useless tool for daily business.

Starting with newer 12.2 IOSes IPv6 has been ported down from the Adv-IP-Services to IP-Services feature sets for Catalyst switches. In fact there isn't anymore Adv-IP-Services for access switches, e.g. for the Cat3750 or the Cat3560 series. All features are now in IP-Services.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks for this, I've now found the ipv4/ipv6 parity statement you refered to (bottom of this document)...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps10587/ps10591/ps10621/qa_c67_561940.html

Unfortunately it does mean that tacs was wrong and we have needlessly purchased a number of Adv IP Services licenses.

Roberto,

I agree that Cisco says so and also it should be so.

But it happens I know it is not true. At least for one command that many will agree is one of the most needed in the ipv6 world.

Most of us to obtain an IPv6 address from a provider use an ipv4 tunnel which requires the "tunnel mode ipv6ip"

command. This command was available in the ip plus feature set but it is not in the universal image ip base.

You need a data k9 license probably for a few commands ipv6 related. I have opened a TAC case and reported it to Cisco. No reply whatsoever.

I had to buy a 370 USD data license for my 1921 (a 1000 USD hardware) just to raise the tunnel.

this does not match with the Cisco statement:

Cisco will support packaging parity for IPv6 with IPv4, for Cisco Integrated Services Routers Generation 2, starting with Cisco IOS Software Release 15.0(1)M, as well as in future 15 M and 15 T releases. IPv6 feature support for a technology will now be packaged in the same feature set as IPv4.

In fact the ipip tunnel mode is in the base image/license.

Hope this helps

Fabio

As far as I can tell, the IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel should be part of the base image in 15, at least in the latest release.

What version of IOS 15 did you run that did not have IPv6 tunnel in the base image?  Souunds liek a bug.

What was the TAC case #?

The definitive answer should be found in feature navigateor, http://www.cisco.com/go/fn.

Hi Philip,

you are definitely right in saying that feature navigator would provide a good answer.

The feature name is "ipv6 tunnelling: manually configured ipv6 over ipv4 Tunnels" and it is contained in datak9 feature set. In fact feature navigator reports it as contained in (data) or (data&security) feature sets.

The problem was highlighted in case  SR: 617789159 (which is still open on a unrelated bug)

The images in which the issue was evident are

c1900-universalk9-mz.SPA.151-3.T1.bin

c1900-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M3.bin

When I found it out I opened case 618386453 which was not addressed. I then paid 375 USD and got a datak9 license edelivered to my router and I am running a datak9 image just to have the tunnel mode ipv6ip unlocked.

Guess I am upset with Cisco for the misinformation and to have had to buy an expensive license for a feature that should have been included in the base image, even according to Cisco documentation.

Fabio

Seems like the IPv6 tunneling feature was a gray area that caused some confusion

As of 15.1(4)T and the upcoming 15.2T, the IPv6 tunnel feature has been activated in the base image (through CSCtj51241).

Phillip,

Any news on ipv6 pppoa?

This appears to be similarly confused as ipv4 pppoa is present in the base licence but the ipv6 variant requires the purchase of the Adv IP license.

Iain

Feature navigator seems to indicate the PPPoA is in the base image for the ISR-G2 family.

In feature Navigator, it is called: “IPv6 Access Services: PPPoA”

For the ISR G2s, this shows up under IP Base, so we are ok there.

For the ISR G1s, it is Adv IP Services and higher, since there is no IPv6 parity on the G1s.

ISR-G1s are ISRs 87x, 18xx, 28xx and 38xx.

ISR-G2s are ISRs 86x, 88x, 89x, 19xx, 29xx and 39xx.

If it is not in base, it is a bug - either in feature navigator or the IOS code.

As of 15.1(4)M and the 15.2(1)T added the IPv6 tunnel feature through CSCtj51241.  Is there any way you can test that code and see if PPPoA is visible in that image for you, in the base code?

Phillip,

Testing on an 887VA (ISR-G2) both the 15.1(4)M and 15.2(1)T releases still require the Adv IP Services license to be enabled before ipv6 over PPPoA will operate.

As this is a xDSL CPE router PPPoA & PPPoE are core features so the lack of ipv6 parity on these does appear to be a bug.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: