cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6PE on Multi-VRF PE Routers?

Jim Blake
Level 1
Level 1
I am investigating mechanisms to allow the  migration of an IPv4/MPLS network, carrying VPNs, to use IPv6. I have a core of P routers,  running IOS 12.4, connecting to PE routers, also running 12.4. I am  using OSPF as the IGP, with iBGP in the core. I have static routing  defined between the PEs and the CEs, mostly because it's simple and not  the area of interest. I have two CE routers, one on VRF "Red" and one on  VRF "Blue", on each PE. I can exchange IPv4 data between the CEs on VRF  Red, and between the CEs on VRF Blue, but not between Red and  Blue....what I am describing here is pretty much a standard, multi-VPN  MPLS installation.

Now I want to update the network to support  IPv4 and IPv6. I based my changes on 6PE, so added config to the PEs  only to enable IPv6 (with IPv6 addresses added to the CEs and the CE-PE  links), and I can now see from "sho bgp ipv6 uni" that the PEs are  learning unicast prefixes from MP-ibgp, and "sho ipv6 cef  <address> det" shows the forwarding table is being built, so I'm  happy that the IPv6 addresses are advertised correctly on each PE.

Now  here's the problem. I can't exchange IPv6 data (I know 6PE doesn't  handle ICMP well, so I'm using telnet rather than ping between CEs to  test, but whereas telnet to an IPv4 address works, telnet to an IPv6   address doesnt). I'm running VRFs, and I want to allow them to operate  for IPv6 as well as IPv4, but I don't think they are, and lots of  documentation suggest that I should be entering something like the  following in my PEs:
!
ip vrf Red
rd 1:100
route-target export 1:100
route target import 1:100
address-family ipv4
exit-address-family
!
address-family ipv6
exit-address-family

IOS  12.4 won't accept the "address-family" statements in that context, but I  can't see another way to get the vrf to accept both address  families....

Have I got the commands completely wrong, or is the  "address family" syntax in the vrf context only available in IOS XR, or  some special version of IOS?

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome!

Jim
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI,

A new syntax is necessary to configure dual-stack VRF in IOS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mpls/configuration/guide/mp_vpn_ipv4_ipv6_ps11280_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Also what you want to configure is 6VPE and not 6PE.

HTH

Laurent.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI,

A new syntax is necessary to configure dual-stack VRF in IOS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mpls/configuration/guide/mp_vpn_ipv4_ipv6_ps11280_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Also what you want to configure is 6VPE and not 6PE.

HTH

Laurent.

Thanks Laurent, I've been searching for something like this for days. I'll give it  a shot, thenif it is as good as it is looks, I'll mark this thread answered

Well, that was interesting! Laurent is quite correct, the document gives the necessary information.....BUT, you have to be very picky about the IOS you use, and on what platform the necesary commands are available....for IOS 12.4, I ended up using T-train versions, which in a production environment may be considered "suboptimal". However, the main thing is that with Laurent's answer, I have got the config I needed. Thanks!