Views
Helpful
Replies

Address Family IPv6 not working

Joy3
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo, 

I have a WS-C3750X-24P version 15.2(1)E1 switch that I am trying to run IPv6 in VRF but I get the following message 'IPv6 VRF not supported for this platform or this template'.. I have used the 'mls ipv6 vrf' command but an error occurs '% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.'

R1(config)#mls ipv6 vrf
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

R1(config)#

Any help will be highly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

There are a few prerequisities before you can enable IPv6 support on a Cat3750X switch:

• You need to run IP Base or IP Services image. LAN Base won't support IPv6.
  • You must prepare the internal partitioning of the switch TCAM to allow storing IPv6 addresses - this is done by configuring your switch with sdm prefer dual-ipv4-and-ipv6 routing global configuration level command, saving the configuration and reloading the switch

After meeting both these conditions, the switch should support IPv6 and you should be able to enable it using ipv6 unicast-routing and then configuring the IPv6 features as usual. Note, "mls ipv6 vrf" is a non-existent command on this platform. The proper way of creating an IPv6-enabled VRF is through vrf definition and the address-family ipv6 inside it.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

There are a few prerequisities before you can enable IPv6 support on a Cat3750X switch:

• You need to run IP Base or IP Services image. LAN Base won't support IPv6.
  • You must prepare the internal partitioning of the switch TCAM to allow storing IPv6 addresses - this is done by configuring your switch with sdm prefer dual-ipv4-and-ipv6 routing global configuration level command, saving the configuration and reloading the switch

After meeting both these conditions, the switch should support IPv6 and you should be able to enable it using ipv6 unicast-routing and then configuring the IPv6 features as usual. Note, "mls ipv6 vrf" is a non-existent command on this platform. The proper way of creating an IPv6-enabled VRF is through vrf definition and the address-family ipv6 inside it.

Best regards,
Peter

Hallo Peter,

This was very very helpful. Thank you very much. Everything works well now.

Hello,

You are welcome! : ) I am glad to hear it is working now!

Best regards,
Peter